Hook Sizes

A Wayne

Reaction score
I use a size 6 for the water I fish but whenever I get the fish out of the water the smaller ones (2-4lb) tend to bleed at the mouth. Is this due to the hooksize or has the hook just hit a soft spot? Does this also damage the fish?

L

Les Clark

Hi,size 6 is a bit over the top,to my mind,for 2/4lb ,go down to size 10`s and see how you go.

J

John Pleasance

If you're using a carp rod, I would suggest you use something a bit softer.

An Avon type rod with a T/C of 1.25lb should be able to cope perfectly well.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I used a size 6 hook (apart from in France), what baists are yopu using?

S

Stuart Bullard

While I agree the hook size is too large, do you use barbed or barbless? Personally I think barbless do more damage, especially to smaller stamp of carp. I made this observation on another thread.......but got ignored!

I reckon it also has something to do with the age / maturity of the fish. In my limited experience the smaller carp (say 4lb - 10lb range) tend to go off like an unguided exocet missle, all over the place with lots of head shaking. Although my "bigger" carp are in the 15lb - 20lb range, they tend to fight very differently, using their bulk and power in longer surging runs.

Two weekends ago I had a couple of 15lb fish plus some other smaller ones. There was more damage to the barbless caught fish of the two 15's (one of each), however all the smaller fish had a fare bit of bleeding irrespective of whether it was barbless or not (size 8 ESP raptors).

Also, I just think the larger fish have tougher mouths........bit like older slappers really!!

S

Stuart Bullard

I meant to say "Although my "bigger" carp are ONLY in the 15lb - 20lb range"

D

Dave Rothery

gravel pit carp have tougher mouths than clay/silt waters.....

stu - only - LOL

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
well let's face it Stu, you'd know al about old slappers!

I read your post mate and deliberately didn?t respond because its an age-old debate in which no-one wins. Personally I believe barbless do more damage, this is based on experience through catching and by the simplistic thought process of having a hook take a firm grip and hold or having a hook that may act as a cheese slicer based on the lack of a firm hold.
Moving this thinking forward, in an ideal world I would prefer not to use anti-tangle tubing for the sake f visibility, but I do based on the harm a naked line or braid can do to the side of a fish and of course it?s mouth. We?ve all had those shakey moments when playing a fish, when the line pings across the back fin. Imagine that ping with a naked braid under high pressure. For me the protection of the fish in any circumstances is of the highest priority.

Barbed hooks and Protective tubing everytime! (In my humble opinion of course)

D

Dave Rothery

yep stu(d) i agree. (blinkin flip, your back 5 mins and we're agreeing already.....things'll get back to normal soon!)

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Nice pic you've got up there Dave, can't be one of yours though mate as it looks well over half an acre!

S

Stuart Bullard

Can't argue with that. However the original post asked whether hook size was wrong. Based on the size of the fish, too big, but I still think the "little ones" create more damage due to their fight and age.

.........and the Selby write up?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I'll go offline with that one Stu, my life has changed dramatically since then. If you've got a spare 4 hours I'll tell you all about it. mail me your mobile again mate.

L

Les Clark

Stu b,i read your posting,it wasn`t ignored,I agree with you ,so didn`t want to say what you allready stated.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
still not a clear enough pic I'm afraid, the only guess would be a venue beginning with C?