What?s a good mileage?

J

john conway

Just recently I?ve had a mid price bait runner loose it?s bait running clutch after probably less than 100 hrs of use (2 years old). I?ve a mid range fixed spool reel still going strong after 1400 hrs (3 years old). I?ve a Shimano 5000 bait runner bought at the last NEC Fishing Expo.
So how long should a reel last?
I know it depends on how it?s treated etc. but lets assume it?s not abused and lets talk in hours run. Even with hours run a carp session may last 50 plus hours but if you only make a couple of cast per session then your reel should last a lifetime compared to a reel used for waggler or stick fishing, or a reel used for feeder fishing in snaggy swims, not to mention how much stick the fish gives it.
I think my Shimano bait runner is absolutely great but how long will it last fishing for Barbel and Chub on the Ribble?

E

Eric Hayes

I've been using a 5010 on the Ribb for 3 seasons now and it's still, fine although I?ve had it serviced by Shimano at the start of last season and they fitted a new worm drive and pawl. (Think that?s how you spell it) But I must say it don't like dragging back 4 to 6oz of sea lead any more. But it is still giving good service,
it just moans a bit when the river is in flood and i'm asking it to do more than I think Shimano designed it to do.

I also have a new 5000 and a 6000 but they look that nice I'm loathed to use them.

D

Dave Slater

I have been using some of my Shimano reels for around 10 years with no problems. For the past four seasons I have been using a pair of Shimano Stradic 4000 GTM's for my main river reels. I think these are brilliant reels. I also have a pair of Shimano VX 3000's which I use quite a lot. I have had these for around 10 years and they have had a lot of stick. They have worn well despite being cheap reels. My stillwater reels are Shimanno Aero Baitrunners (2x5010 and 3x8010). I have had the 5010's for around 10 years and the 8010's for around 7 years and had no problems. For float fishing I have a Diawa 125M closed face and a Leeds centrepin. I have had both of these for a few years, again with no trouble. I think you must just have been unlucky with yours John. I get my reels serviced every few years at Seashore Tackle in Paignton. They are excellent and very reasonable. They were recommended to me by Ritchie in Ringwood Tackle.

I

IAN HOBKIRK

I have two Shimano 5ooo gtes bought this year,with them came a two year guarantee,for any defects etc,so iam supposing that after two years they need to be serviced.
Iuse mine for barbel fishing only,it will be intersting to fine out how long they last with this type of fishing,and the stress iam putting on the reels,which i think is a major factor in how long the reels will last.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I agree with Dave, you must have had Friday afternoon reels John. I don't possess a reel under 10 years old, 2 Shimano's an Abu closed face and a Mitchell and they're still in perfect condition. I've never had them serviced but I do clean them after every session. If I've used groundbait I wash them in hot soapy water and then spray them all over with WD40, otherwise I just give them a good spray with WD and I find that keeps them in tip-top condition. I reckon it would'nt be unreasonable to expect a good reel to last in excess of 20 years. How many people have you seen using a Mitchell match(blue one) or the old Mitchell 300 and they're still going strong

C

Chris Bishop

Had three 8010GTs for four years, the odd wobble but still work fine, although they don't look too cracky.

Wouldn't spry them with WD40 though - doesn't it weat into polycarbonate or whatever the bodies are made from..?

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

To me, a reel must last at least 10 years. centre-pins and fly reels, a heck of a lot longer - a lifetime in fact.

This is when I buy a reel, I always buy the best I can afford. This pays off I reckon in the long term.

There are so many reels on the market place that one is tempted to buy some of the cheapies that are about.

But where is the after-sales service. If it's a fixed spool reel you are after, stay with Shimano or Daiwa.

Adrian Chubb

Reaction score
I have a Mitchell 331 that has I have used extensively every year for the past 28 years, it has had a couple of bail arm springs and a new bail arm due to abuse (thrown in the bottom of my box). I also have a Shimano 3500 that must be about 10 years old and has never let me down. I agree with Ron, buy the best you can afford. Neither of these owe me a penny.

B

Budgie Burgess

Im amazed that people are so pleased that their reels have lasted three years!! Some of my 300s are thirty years old,my 501s over twenty.6500CTs the same (and sea reels take a right hammering from the elements)Just in case you think these reels just sit in the workshop you are mistaken.When I was seriously into Carp my tackle most likely saw more rod hours in a season than most do in a life time.The secret? buy quality and look after it!A few minutes cleaning and servicing pays dividends.I wonder how long my Shimmanos will last for? Im not holding my breath! Then again why should a manufacturer make a reel thats going to last when so many are happy with a three year life span? In fact many reels only remain in use untill the latest model is brought out!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Chris, don't know why you should think that WD40 will have a detrimental affect on reels. As I said, I've always used it and still do, it helps because it expels all the water and my reels are in mint condition

G

Gary Knowles

my pair of 5010's are about 10 years old now and still going strong. And they have had nothing but abuse. Never seen a reel case and been used for a bit of piking and some sea fishing as well....