waterproof? coat

D

Dave Oates

hi, can anyone recomend a good waterproof coat. having no luck recently, whether expensive or not. thanks , dave

G

Gary Knowles

Gore-tex mate !

absolutely nothing beats it, despite what manufacturers claim.

I got a camou gore-tex suit from an ex-army supplier and it's the most waterproof clothing I have ever owned.

The other advantage is it's so small it fits in the bottom of your rucksack for months on end waiting to be used. No need for bulky jackets or pants.

G

Gary Knowles

Stuart - yes.

I boat fish in winter in rain/wind/sleet/snow. 8 hours in the boat with goretex you take the suit off and your bone dry, easterly winds are no problem either.

I cant recommend GENUINE gore-tex suits highly enough...

A

Andy Nellist

I use a Sundridge Igloo II 2 piece suit (?200 rrp). the jacket has a removeable lining so you can use it summer and winter. It's one of the best bits of kit I've ever bought as I know I can go out in anything and remain dry and warm.

S

Stuart Bullard

Stuart - I do a lot of skiing. My Gore tex is really fine (as in thickness) yet keeps howling snow storms out at -20oC! The real benefit is that it also breathes as well, so you dont get too hot in it either.

As Barney says, have a look at Army surplus. I got some really light weight gore tex army over trousers for ?15, and in winter I just wear them over some tracky bottoms. They are brilliant. Equally, the Sundridge is very good as well.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave,
The Barbour range take a lot of beating, but then you have to accept the possibly of being "branded" as a traditionalist or something similar :-o)

E

EC

I totally confirm what Andy says about the Sundridge Igloo.

I can't remember the last time I sat under a brolly, but can tell you I regularly sit on the floor without getting my a**e wet, mine is over 4years old too!

Best bit of kit I EVER bought!

D

Dave Slater

I use the Sundridge Igloo as well. I have the original version and it is still going strong. Kevin Clifford recommended this suit and, like Eddie, I have to say it is the business. I have fished in very wet conditions and extreme cold without ever feeling uncomfortable. The facility to use the jacket with or without the lining is good as it is very warm with the lining. I have to disagree with Peter about the Barbour range. I think they just chrge for the name. Their products do not keep out the cold and wet like modern clothing but if you like this type of jacket/coat you can get cheaper versions for about a quarter of the price that do the same job.

G

Geoff Cowen

If you have the money Musto clothing is the best on the marked. I bought one of the fishng coats 11 years ago and it's still as good today. The added bonus with them is that you can through them in the washing machine and they come out as new. Only problem is I'm getting a bit fat to get into it these days. Too much of the good life, I guess.

A

Ashe Hurst

Tried most on the market and spent a bit too.
Gor-Tex, Dogs B*****s.

spent over ?100 on a similar materiald suit and it lasted months.

Get down the Army surplus and get a French or Uk army set. 100% protective. keep warm with under layers.

G

goff dyer

Mine is a Sundridge Siberian (brilliant), if you buy the suit you get a free pair of boots.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Review the clothing you've tried in the Member Review section so that it'll be a ready reference for anyone thinking of buying it.

If the clothing you want to review isn't in the list then click the 'add' button and if it isn't there then just let us know.