Best Fishing Dog

G

Gary Knowles

I know a great deal of fisheries now ban dogs, and with some owners letting them run riot and crap all over the place I'm not suprised.

However, for a while I've fancied a dog to accompany me when I fish alone on non-commercail waters where there are little if any rules.

I have just bitten the bullet and bought myself a Border Terrier. Anyone any experience of these or have had other breeds as an angling buddy ?

G

Gary Knowles

Oh, and it's a dog not a bitch before I get any sarcastic answers about long cold nights !!!!!!

daren heslop

Reaction score
I bought a spaniel Garry as a family pet come fishing buddy. Big mistake.Cant keep her out of the water and then she lies on my bed so she stays at home.
Ive been trying to butter the misses up into getting a terrier myself.
A mate of mine has borders and they are cracking little dogs.One of those or a jack russel would do me but shes not having any of it.
I usually get my own way in the end so hopefully ill soon have my own hot water bottle on legs.

G

Gary Knowles

I was torn between a jack russel and a border myself.

Eventually I went with a border as a mate has one and he cant speak highly enough of it and I went to the Cheshire show a few weeks ago and everyone I spoke to in the terriers clubs all said a border was better with kids (I have 2 daughters).

Plus they seem to be hard little buggers!

A

Andy Nellist

I used to have a border collie who was a great companion when fishing, a great guard dog and extremely intelligent. He used to watch my float and bark when it went under.

He was with me one day fishing for Tench and i had an angler who kept grumbling saying dogs shouldn't be allowed on the bank. the next morning at 7 my dog awoke and went to to his business. He would never mess on or near a footpath and wouldn't go if you watched him. He came back into my bivvie and went back to sleep. Ten minutes later the chap next to me had a run he came charging out of his bivvy but slipped and fell backwards missing the run. The reason he had slipped was that my dog had left him a present right in front of his bivvy !!!!

B

Budgie Burgess

I have a bull mastif puppy.He is nearly 10months old now and the size of a small lion!He hasnt come with me yet but-

1.I think I will have the water to myself.
2.His constant barking will stop any self respecting fish coming within a mile of my swim.
3.I will have to invest in a two man bivvy.
4.Also a second bed chair.
5.Im sure he will soon chew all of the foam/cork of my rod handles.
6.Eat all of my bait.
7.Eat all of my food.
8.Eat most of my friends.

BUT I know he will love it!and I will feel guilty if I dont take him.Seriously though badly behaved dogs are a pain when you are fishing.Both to yourself and others.Mine will be allright because I will ensure I train him accordingly if not he will not be able to come.As they say there is no such thing as a bad dog..just a bad owner.
God I wish I had got a collie or a terrier!!

I

IAN HOBKIRK

Nice one Andy,
Amate of mine had a border from a pup,trained her up to do the usual obediant things and more be sides,never left his side,brilliant dog always alert.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My Irish Setter was my constant companion on the banks of Rivers and Lakes all through the 80's, right up to my divorce in '89, when she (along with everything else I owned) became the property of my "ex."
She spent many a night in the bivvy with me (the dog, not the wife) and I can honestly say that she was never any trouble at all to other anglers.

A point to remember is that there is no such thing as a badly behaved dog, but there are an awful lot of badly trained owners!

Personally, I think it is a real shame that dogs have been banned from some venues.

G

Gary Knowles

Peter,

As you and other have already pointed out, dogs will have been banned because of their owners.

Budgie,

I'm not sitting next to you then...sounds like yours may eat my new dog !!!!!!!

C

Chris Bishop

Took ours once. Total nightmare.

Then there was the mate's dog that wandered over one day and started munching my deadbaits. He ate a few, then walked back to his owner's swim and promptly puked them up all over his tackle...

J

John Pleasance

I only took my dog,a boxer,on one occasion.

He swallowed a stone (like you do!) cost me about ?50 for an op to get it removed,a lot of dosh nearly 30 years ago.

God I loved that dog,I'm getting all weepy just thinking about him.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Why not take Eddie along.

Dogs can't tell jokes.

I've never owned a dog in my life due to the fact that I've lived at nearly 50 addresses and my life style never did suit owning a dog.

Hoever I have known many dogs that have alway belonged to other people.

The worst dog was a Doberman that belonged to a friend of mine. Very friendly it was until you left the house and then it went beserk!!

My favourite dogs are Springers and Labbies. Marvellous gundogs. I had a friend who lived in the Free State. We used to go shooting guinea fowl and duck in the winter. We would jump into his pick-up in the early morning and spend a day in the harvested maize fields.

His Springers were magic, virtually did all the work for you, all you had to do was pull the trigger.

Lovely lively friendly dogs are Springers.

W

William Spencer

tough call this gary.two years ago my yorkie died,and,i cried for days.i took him everywhere wether it was fishing or not.he was so small he could sit anywhere,the parcel shelf,under your legs,passenger seat.if we ever went out on a day trip he would come with.when he got tired we'd put him in the basket in the pushchair.last sunday we had to have another dog put down.it was given to us after the yorkie died by the inlaws.she was the love of my life.spaniel/border collie cross.we only had her for two years but you do get attached.i would take her fishing too.because of her size we couldn't take her on day trips.last friday we took her to the vets as she couldn't pee,on saturday the vet told us he'd removed bladder stones the size of a peach,and,he'd speyed her.we went to the vets on sunday where she sat looking sorry for herself.the vet advised us to put her down.thinking of what had happened i think the vet didn't want his bank holiday spoiling.of course the dog was down,we'd dumped her at the vets,he'd ripped half of her insides out and we'd left her alone.
both myself and my wife regret what we had done.we could have brought her home to see if she would pick up.however vets being vets he was supposed to know best.
then he slapped with a 600 quid bill.

G

goff dyer

Gary, brilliant terriers are borders like all small terriers they are very loyale, if he is from good working stock just keep your eye on him if he smells fox!

B

Budgie Burgess

Whilst we are on the subject of dogs and fishing I have a true story that you may find amusing. Back in the seventies Carp and carp fishing were my reason for living.I was constantly in search of that special water that would produce the fish of my dreams.One such water was a small 3 acre pond in the back garden of a private house.I had seen some true monsters swimming in it and regularly sent letters to the owners asking permission.Much to my delight I recieved a letter from them informing me that they were soon to be selling the property and they would let me have a weekends fishing before the sale was completed.The date was set and my fishing partner at the time,Scruff, and I were all set.An hour before we were due to go he rang me to say that his wifes sister had been taken into hospital and she would have to go and look after her kids.This meant he would have to bring his dog "Toby" along for the two days with us.When we arrived at the pond the owners introduced me to the new owners.Much to my delight they said that they couldnt see why fishing the pond couldnt be a permenant arrangement.As we made our way to the pond I noticed two small Shetland ponies on the lawn.These aparently were the new peoples pride and joy.I set up my gear along side a lovely pad of lillys,Scruff set up a bit furher along.At this point Toby was quite happy laid by his masters side.I was just baiting up when I heard a lady screaming hystericaly,I turned around only to see Toby had wandered over to the ponies and promptly mounted them!We were never invited back..........

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Hey Ron -----You calling me a dog ????????

B

Birds Nest

what a fantastic thread..

used to see an old boy tenching, with a red setter, super it was, slept in the sun all day...

C

Colin Hutchinson

I had a good mate who used to take his dog fishing and when he caught a fish it used to sit up on its back legs and give a happy bark. I asked him what happened when he lost one and he told me that it would do somersaults in the air, i asked him how high? he said, it depended how hard he kicked him!!!

Only joking, i take my Westie sometimes and he's no problem.

D

Dave Slater

Great companions Gary but, as you say, you can't take them on most fisheries. We had to have our old girl, Emma, put down a few weeks ago at the age of 17. She was a lab cross we got from the RSPCA as a pup and was very well loved in my fishing circles despite embarrassing moments like crapping in the tackle shop and bringing my mate Bob's marker floats in for him. I am sure you will have many happy years with your new friend.