Safety lead Clips

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I?ve been using these puppies for the past 3 years now and only recently I?ve completely gone off them. I?ll explain my reasons later down the thread, but anyone else out there feel the same? Or am I on my own here?

D

Dave Rothery

havent used them for aaaaaages. i use run rings as they dont run anyway(!) and use a "rotten bottom" if i want the lead to break away. or cut the ring. havent lost a fish cos of lead snagging in ages

(but then as wol or cakey will point out, the fish are all singles, and i can just reach out and land them anyway.)

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
nice answer frothy 'me-ole-mukka', so did you stop using them because of......?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Hi Les, me too, although of late I'm fast going back to helicoptor style based on total lack of tangles. The issues I was having was dropping leads at huge distances then the tails splitting. But more importantly everyone and their dead aunt is using them and I like to be different (hence my face)

D

Dave Rothery

stopped using them cos i dont think they they work unless you modify them so much the lead falls off. i use helicopter with stiff rigs or mono, inlines or running rigs with braid/combi's.

G

Gary Knowles

Stu,

I don't use them anymore because they should actually be called CARP safety clips. As there are only carp they are safe for. I see guys using these on rivers as well now.

A decent barbel or a carp would be OK if the lead got snagged but a medium sized tench, large bream, chub, roach, etc. would undoubtedly be tethered.

There is no way these thing should be called 'safety' clips...they are anything but !!!!!!!!

C

Cakey

Its just me then,I love em
but I always cut of the nobbly bit that that locks the lead on,making it much safer.

L

Les Clark

Correct me If I`m wrong,( I know you will),but helicopter rigs,not advisable in heavy weeded water`s?
Plus can only use shortish hooklenght`s,about 7 inche`s?

D

Dave Rothery

helicopters are no less safe than "safety rigs". weed always balls up on the line so the line wont pass thru the clip anyway. use a weaker hooklength is the only "safe" method, or really heavy mainline (so you can drag the snag in!)

C

Cakey

Helicopters are great for casting,but for hooking fish its not a direct connection,and for playing fish the angles are wrong.

Inline leads where I fish (gravel bars like london underground map)land swivel first on the gravel resulting in knot damage or swivel damage.

So the beads serve my needs for semi fixed and running but as I said before cut the nobbly bit off that clips the lead in and another thing dont use swiveled leads ,I use fox leads with the big eyes and no swivel.

B

Birds Nest

Fox leads with big eyes, enterprise bead that sits on the swivel..

G

Gary Knowles

I'm OK thanks Stu...

Cakey, even with the clip snipped off bream, roach, chub, etc. will be thethered !

I say it again. They should NOT be called 'safety' clips.

C

Cakey

Sorry Gary
much as I love you ,the safety beads are made for carp Ive read a couple of catalogues and there is no mention of bream,roach,chub etc.

I did see a beefed up version for the stickleback you catch though.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think that's what Gary means though Cakey. They're sold as Safety Clips rather than Carp Safety Clips.

They may be aimed at carp, but how do stop the smaller/weaker species picking up baits that were meant for carp and then becoming tethered when they haven't got the strength to release the clip?