Christchurch Harbour

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Enjoyed the article Mark.

The harbour is one of my favourite spots - its just a pity I dont live a bit nearer.

I think to get the most from it however you need to be afloat.Because of the tidal variations the fish move around a lot & with a boat you can keep searching out the more productive areas.

The Mullet in particular give fantastic sport & outfight IMHO their whiskery cousins upstream.

There have also been some big bream showing this year although the carp are very elusive & I'm not sure if anyone targets them particularly.

Mark , e-mail me if you'd like to have a day sharing a punt with me sometime & we can perhaps sort something out.

Peter , has this changed your mind?

J

John Pleasance

I'm going to have to get around to giving that a go one day,I only live 5 miles away.

It's just as you described though Mark, I have always put it off,not knowing where or how to start.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
John,

Have a crack at it! It's full of surprises. Then post on this forum how you got on.

Good Luck - Mark

D

Dave Slater

Don't write too much if you do well there John. We don't want the circus there as well.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark,
A good informative article, thanks.

Nigel,
I have to admit that while reading Mark's article I was having second thoughts.
Can anyone recommend a really good life jacket that would be efficient yet comfortable in use?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Glad to see you have so much faith in my boatmanship Peter!

Seriously if you go to page 3 or 4 of the Reviews archive, Graham reviews the new Harrison life-jacket.

Fox, I think also do one a little bit cheaper.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nigel, it is not your boatmanship I am worried about, but my own ineptitude that is ever present whenever I go anywhere near a boat :)

I saw Graham's review and I think I'll get the Harrison.

J

John Pleasance

Mark/Nigel,do you fish the harbour all season or is it more of a summer venue?

C

Chris Bishop

Peter, get one of the self-inflating ones. Fox do one but you can find cheaper ones of similar design if you shop around.

They're fairly unobtrusive.

C

Chris Bishop

Might be the best ?100 you ever spend mate.

Never fished Christchurch but it sounds like there's a fair old tide on there.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Best time of year for the Harbour? I reckon summer or early autumn. First the mullet are still around, secondly most of the dace and roach head up the Stour late autumn, nt sure about the bream or carp, and finally the narrow bit I fished has the full flow of the Avon and Stour through it; not much at the moment but a lot more in the winter.

You guys are wondering about boats and life jackets; the latest craze for the seatrout anglers is belly boating in the Claypool (where the 2 rivers meet), at night, without lights (you're meant to display navigation light after dark). Crazy or what?

Hoping you give it a go soon - Mark.