hair rigs

S

Steve Wilson

is there an optimal length between hook and hair rigged bait, if so wot is it and when would you consider lengthening
or shortening said hair
yours confused
steve

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I dont think that there is an optimal hair length.It?s a case of trial and error (as it is wiv most things in fishing) in finding what length works for the size and style of hook being used. Also bait size needs to be taken into account. No good fishing say a 6inch hair wiv a single peanut on the end of it is there, (no doubt somebodys going to have tried it and caught, Cakey?).If you are missing runs or suspecting the fish are mouthing your baits and not getting hooked, play around/adjust the length of the hair, you may have it too long, fish are picking the bait up but not the hook wiv it, like i said play around, it could make all the difference.

B

Budgie Burgess

In adition to what Wol says I adjust my hair length in relation to where the hook is in the carps mouth.ie if it is deep I lengthen the hair,if it is just on the edge I shorten the hair.As a starting point I have about 1/2" between the bend of the hook and start of the bait.

C

Cakey

My brothers mate Steve cant tie a rig to save his life and a few of us had a mini fish in,steve was fishing with dacron that looked like a length of rope and at least a 3" hair,guess who caught ?

C

Cakey

I was fishing in France with this Steve and he was playing a fish ,he ask me to help him land it which I did ,when I went to unhook it for him the rig had somehow come untied and the only thing that stopped him losing the fish was the boilie stop jammed up against the eye of the hook.
even now he still cant tie an hooklength but now he buys ready tied and he has had some big fish !

S

Steve Wilson

thanks for the info chaps
i shall continue to experiment and one day i might get it right

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Steve, the only advice I could give you mate is to do the exact opposite as everyone else and keep your thinking cap on. The majority tend to use really short hairs, and when using the knotless knot or line aligner approcah as I do, you'll find that the hook dosent turn as it is intended too. Stick to Budgies advice and keep your hairs 1/2 inch plus from the bend, this way you'll get the desired affect on the turn for a firm hokhold.

C

Cakey

I once saw a demo where a carps mouth had been made with a rubber bulb thing to suck and blow and the most effective rig was the line aligner rig.
it was ages ago so the d rigs etc were not around, would be nice to see that mouth on some modern rigs.

L

Les Clark

I tend to use rather a long hair at the moment,2.5 inch,but I do like to use 2x12ml bait`s,it`s all down to what`s working at the moment.

B

Budgie Burgess

cakey,surely you dont give credit to this sort of psudo science bullshit? rubber carps mouths are like tank testing baits...as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. the only thing they help catch are anglers!

W

Budgie mate, i for the life of me dont understand............

"surely you dont give credit to this sort of psudo science bullshit?"

U seen it working mate?

B

Budgie Burgess

Dont know if Cakey has seen the same "Rubber carp head" as I have seen(seen two different ones actually)But neither of the ones I saw were worth a toss,despite looking very realistic.IMO you can not replicate something like this.Any form of artificial situation gives you no truely realavent information.Look at the thousands of wasted hours carried out tank testing both rigs and baits by lots of people(my self included)untill it was realised how meaningless they were.The only way you can truely test either is by actualy using them in real angling situations.

W

I aint seen it working either, but, ok its not going to replicate exactly whats happening but surely its going to possibly give you some idea. I know a couple of lads down here on some bloody hard Colne Valley pits and they (not me, they) reckon its bloody superb. These lads are doing fairly well and on a super difficult water too, maybe lady luck is with them at the moment eh and its nowt to do with this rubber carp head.

Cakey, you back from fishing yet?

C

Cakey

A carps mouth open and shuts,sucks and blows not really rocket science is it ?
Budgie you have your views ,Ill have mine.

B

Budgie Burgess

75mph...but it was a plastic one! You are quite right everyone is entitled to their own views I just like to hear why and how people form their views.Especialy if they are different to mine a well presented argument can often make you revue your opinions.But not your experiences.

C

Cakey

Budgie are you coming to our fish-in ?
I see your in Ashford,Stu is coming down from Faversham .