Centre Pin help

R

Ron Martin

I purchased a really good centre pin reel a few years back and have only used it once!
The reason - It has not got a ratchet system on it. When I use it the line simply continues to run from it unchecked.
Can anyone offer any advice.

J

John Pleasance

Not sure what sort of advice you want Ron.

If you want to leger with it then a ratchet is a very big advantage,the only real alternative is to hold it all the time.

For float fishing,free running is what you want.To bait up just put the rod butt under your armpit and let the rod go over your forearm with the reel in front of your arm, the reel should rest against your arm and that will stop it moving while you bait between casts.

If you want to carry the rod made up just put the hook into/around one of the holes/spokes and then put one turn of line around the pin handle.You need to have a little tension on the rod tip when you do this to keep it all tight.

.....or sell it,what is it,how much do you want for it?

R

Ron Martin

Hi John
Thanks for the reply, and the advice.
The reel is an Adcock "Stanton" with a 4 1/2 inch drum. I have no idea of its value but it is a rather nice piece of engineering in its own right.
What I meant to ask was, is there a way of fitting a ratchet system to the reel.

J

John Pleasance

I'm not an engineer Ron but I've had a look at my Adcock Stanton and can't really see an easy way of doing it.

There appears to be less than 1mm between the backplate and the spool,this could be bushed off a little I suppose to give you about 2mm clearance but I think the cost would buy you a reel with a ratchet anyway.

I'm sure Cliff Adcock did make some later models with a ratchet.If yours is an early model(in a black cardboard box)maybe you will find someone who wants to swap a more modern one(with ratchet) just to get an original.

R

Ron Martin

Early model? No such luck mate. Mine came in a plain brown wrapper, ooops sorry I mean box.

D

David Colley

I HAVE A LEEDS CENTRE PIN CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO FIT A LINE GUARD

P

Philip Smith

What on earth do you want one for?
If you are ledgering you have tight line anyway. If you are float fishing you will have your middle finger down the back of the reel seat and will feel any overrun on that!
The first job when we got a 'pin was to take the blasted things off.
Phil

N

Nick King 2

i bought a leeds centre pin from the fishing exhibition at the nec about 2 years ago i think it was.i used it for the first time last weekend trotting an avon style float for chub.my casting is crap and i think perhaps i should have run the line from the top of the drum.no tangles though and a 1 1/2 pound chub on my fourth cast-i cant wait to get out and use it again,some of the most enjoyable fishing ive done for a long time.

jp

Reaction score
Good on you Nick, there are plenty of Philistines out there who will never know how you feel.

I've tried running the line from the top and didn't like it....

.....but if you want to try it sometime, don't bother changing everything, just have an extra long trot, and then wind the line back on the other way, you can then try trotting with the line off the top and if you don't like it.... well I'll let you work out how to put it back again.

R

Ron Martin

To those who responded. I have solved the problem. A mate bought the reel off me.
Many thanks
Ron

K

Keith Haynes 2

they no longer make adcock stantons mine has not got a ratchet but he did make them with rachets

niteraven

Reaction score
ron why did you sell it arggggghhhhh the centre pin is the best reel ever for float fishing the presentation on a stick float is second to non,I have a Alcocks match ariel,and had many double figure barbel on it,you must be prepared that you wont cast it for miles but close in or on swims where the water goes away from you to the far bank you will never beat it,make sure the line comes off the bottom of the drum then all you do for a fast wind is just bat your hand under the reel away from you,in a word real relaxing fishing,and I do have a ratchet on my reel,,get your reel back ronnie,and have some real good fun on those smaller streams,BIG CHUB AND BARBEL waiting for you mate

R

Ron Martin

Niteraven,
You've hit the nail right on the head mate. Your centre pin has a ratchet!
I got really pee'd off whenever I put the rod/reel down, in the majority of cases I picked up a rod, reel and birds nest!
Your so right about the finesse of a centre pin. But, I made the mistake of forgetting all about the benefits of a ratchet when I bought the reel.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Just a suggestion - consider trying an old Trudex. They're about ?35-60, and you have to spend SERIOUS dosh to get anything noticebly better.It has a check, a drag, and a removable line guard. Like the Speedia, it has a knack of behaving itself (c.f. the Match Aerial - a bad-tempered old trout of a reel); unlike the Speedia it doesn't turn your line into a load of corners joined by monofil. Unlike its more expensive sister, the Rapidex, it usually keeps revolving even if dropped.
Gary Mills is the man to ask; I'm afraid I dont have his nunber to hand, but it's on the RMC forum.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
hi ,it seems i'm a little late in coming to this thread i don't get down this end of the forum as often as i should.it's a shame that you felt you had to sell your reel just for the sake of a lack of a ratchet ,i too have a reel without a check or ratchet and when i use it for ledgering
ect i use a wooden clothes peg to trap the
rim.
i have two wooden clothes pegs drilled them
each a hole in the arm (lever)and tied them
together with about 4ft of old line .to use
i simply clip one to my rod rest ,then i cast out and wind in any slack line then put my rod onto two rests then clip the other peg to the rim of the reel and gently
hold it in position as i tighten up to the lead (ledger)then release my grip .the peg
in-parts enough grip to stop the spool from
spinning but gives enough friction to let a running fish take line acting like a drag
then i simply grip the rim with my thumb as i strike as i'm lifting the rod of the
rests.

ron,if you haven't replaced your reel yet i
would recommend you have a look at a Shakespeare lincoln its a australian made reel that can be turned though 360 deg and has a check/ratchet and is quite a freely running when trotting and only cost about ?40 or less.i've been thinking of getting one as a second reel , maybe for christmas.

Paul Swift

Reaction score
The Leeds "Classic" centrepin, with optional ratchet, can be bought from Kirkgate Angling in, funnily enough, Leeds for 57 quid plus postage. This is a serious piece of kit and every bit as good as (for trotting, if not finish and engineering) as the ?200 plus jobbies. I use mine on the Ribble and love it! Just flick the ratchet on if you hook a "clonker" to avoid any accidental slippage of thumb and resultant birdsnest.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Woe is me if Herself finds out, but I just ebayed a Lincoln. The only obvious problem with it is that, being a side-caster, it has a shallow arbour, so it might be a bit moody in a side-wind (same order of shallowness as the Match Aerial, but haven't measured it exactly).It has a lockable brake which applies a rubber pad to the inner drum. The pin looks no great shakes, and when you look down the bush, there are floating washer-type things , er, floating about. BUT it only took three no.4 shot to start it spinning, and the only other pin I tried that could equal that was a Leeds 5.5". Match Aerial, Rapidex, Trudex, et alia ALL took much more to get going.
AND, another plus, its plastic, so the back will be much less painful to hold in the winter. Recommended if you can cope with that shallow arbour.