Help on the Warks Avon

J

Jack Pike

I am going to the Warks Avon on wends this week .As I fancy doing a bit of float fishing so what method would you recomend?

B

Budgie Burgess

During the 70's when I lived in the Midlands the Avon was a great vennue.Then the predominant species were Chub.They averaged about 2lb and most matchs required 40lb to win.The swimfeeder or plastic pig as it was kmown had just started to make an impact on the match scene.The skilled float anglers of the day hated it and many matchs were float only!The most common float tactic then was a waggler fished at half depth along the far bank.This won many matchs.The Avon's poulation has changed a lot over the years and the masses of good chub are not so prolific.It still however remains a great float water for both waggler and stick float.Coupled with loose fed casters or bronze maggot.Treat it like the matchmen of old and fish and feed two swims.One close in on the stick and another either down the middle or far bank on the waggler.

J

Jack Pike

Pereshore Budgie I will be after zander in the evening but would like to catch some other fish in the mean time i fished there last year and fell in love with the place. It is years since I fished a river expect for last year when i was completely lost.I hold my hand up and asking for help.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

I spent a great deal of time on the Avon from 1996 to 1998 when I lived in Warwick.

I caught not only good roach, chub, barbel, dace and pike, I also caught tench and a whopping great crucian carp just upstream of Warwick near the Elmscote Bridge.

For roach, I used to lay on in a near back swim using bread flake or casters. There are some very good roach in the Avon, if you fish into the evenings using bread layed-on, you can at times get a few over 1lb.

My barbel came from Manor farm - Harvington, well downstream of Stratford.

The Avon, like the Thent is becoming more of a specimen river these days. There are very few matches on it know and cormorants are much in evidence in some areas,