Cottages New Forest / Hampshire

G

Gary Knowles

All,

My better half has decided she would like a holiday in this country next year. I've agrre to take the in-laws as long as there is some fishing nearby for me.

Anyone reccommend a nice, spacious cottage, etc prefereably walking distance from the Stour/Hamps Avon or even some stillwater fishing.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

D

Dave Slater

Gary,
There is some holiday accomodation right next to the CAC stretch of the Avon at Burgate. I am not too sure what the accomodation is like but it is a very good stretch of river, ont that I fish fairly regularly. Clubs down here are not cheap and membership would set you back about ?100, but if you are fishing every day or evening this would not cost you much more than day tickets in this area and you have several other good waters on the club book. Would you like me to check out the accomodation for you?

G

Gary Knowles

Dave,

That would be great..thanks. I'd be happy to fork out ?100 to fish half a dozen times or so on waters of that quality.

any accommadation details you can find would be much appreciated.

Graham,

I'll check out the website now..cheers.

What did you catch from the lake mate ?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Gary, hideaways have some cottages actually on the Avon and if they are anything like the one I had they're worth every penny.
The lake I fished holds roach rudd tench and pike and although I only had roach and rudd to a pound the water was affected by hot sunny weather all week. The tench reputedly go to double figures and the pike to over 30lbs. I know a tench of 8.5lbs was caught the week before I went and I spoke to a guy who has had pike up to 27lbs. As for the potential, don't know cos I was only there a week

R

Richard Drayson

Hi Gary,
I cannot personally recommend anywhere but would be happy to search out something for you, like Dave is doing.
Are you looking for self-catering and how many in your group?
Any specific areas? Fordingbridge, Ringwood, Christchurch???

G

Guy Robb

HIRE OUT A LOG CABIN AT SANDY BALLS HOLIDAY PARK,swimming pool. games rooms,resturants and bars and it has its own stretch of the hants avon and is close to all other waters

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Sandy Balls ------that sounds interesting

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

It's strange the things that attract Scousers innit... :eek:)

E

At least I'm not like Barney - he's into 'cottaging'

D

Dave Slater

Gary,
Sandy Balls is a good site. The 16 may not be genuine but the 14's Dave Williams caugt years ago certainly are. It has also done 6+ chub and 3+ roach. Forgive any typing mistakes. Just got in fom darts, Will check out Burgate accomodation at weekend ane E_mail you. Will also get any other info from various contacts.
Dave

G

Gary Knowles

Guy/Dave/etc.

Sandy balls looks quite good but I actually fancy a bit of seclusion rather than a social.

Richard,

i don't know the area at all I have never fished either the Hampshire Avon or Dorset Stour, so I'm not sure where to head for. Somewhere close to the new Forest, with fishing (preferably river) on my doorstep so I can spend most of my day with the family then fish morning and evenings.

8 in the party. 3 couples and two kids. (oh, and a Border Terrier)

Thanks to all anyway, it's much appreciated guys !

S

Stuart Bullard

Gary - I was just about to make the same observation. I had the experience of a similar site, and frankly if you want to have some seclusion, then this is not the place for you, which is what I was going to say.

There are two really good companies who rent out cottages, with an emphasis on the south.......but can I remember them!! I've rented out 3 times in the same(ish) vicinity. I'll call the missus. Not sure actually in the New Forest is necessarily the best location for on your door step fishing though. What about Rik, he is from the area??

Will you need any "deep south" survival gear ?? At least we can hear of your exploits on these easy southern waters :eek:)

E

Gary
Isn't Hatchetts Pond down that area ??

Graham and I fished there years ago ....but thats ANOTHER story ;-)

E

No you're ok Gra'
No kiss and tell this time

Hahahah