A Little Luck

L

Les Clark

Henry,A classic piece,a time gone by,want to read,but don`t want to finish,more please.

J

john conway

Henry, this was an excellent read, I'm really looking forward to the next instalment.

A

alan outen

i dont want to sound like a little kid but i want more

R

Richard Drayson

I truly felt that I was there at the lake whilst reading the first installment.
A magical piece of writing and I'm waiting for the next piece with eager anticipation.
Thanks Henry.

W

Wolfman Woody

Graham (the Governor) and I have been E-mailing each other recently about the poor quality of writing these days in magazines and how they're all 'cloning' (was the word Graham used) each other. Your feature here, Henry, takes me right back to the 60's and early 70's when the standard of angling writing was absolutely brilliant. Your feature could have been plucked from one of those early mags. Very well done, I enjoyed it and look forward to the rest.

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
I can't agree more about what has already been said. Great writting, just a shame it had to finish. Roll on part II.

M

michael Crowley

Brilliant, if it turns into a book i'll buy the first copy.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Lovely article Henry. Makes me want to go carp fishing again.

However can you imagine what it must be like for such a lake to be invaded by a modern "carp angler" with bivvy, buzzers, bolt rigs, boilies, bedchair and beer, (the 6 horrible "Bs").

Smoking in church - would be a good analogy.

R

Richard Drayson

Peter,
Sparkling articles and dull weeks?
You ought to put quill to parchment yourself!!!

S

Stu Black

Ron, all carp anglers smoke in church, it's because we're all in league with the devil!

D

Davy North

A lovely piece of writing, I can't imagine any other sport evoking such poetic passions as angling.

A while ago I was having a heated discussion with a non-angling friend about this, and the literary heritage of angling. As far as he was concerned angling is all cloth caps and whippets, I think I'll print this and show him just what anglers can come up with.

However on the down side, as mentioned earlier work like this seems to be a thing of the past, thankfully on this site there are people are willing to have a go and put over the true essence of angling.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Heyup Davy, al mention this to me mates who live in Barnsley lad.

Whippets is sacred to them lad!

C

Chris Bishop

"A lovely piece of writing, I can't imagine any other sport evoking such poetic passions as angling...."

I've been a journalist for years and have written about all kinds of things in that time.

I find fishing really hard to write about and truly admire some of the stuff I read on here.

The mainstream media have become so commercial it's refreshing to read the average guy on the bank opening his heart and sharing the things he loves - or successful anglers sharing some of their secrets without turning it into an ad for tackle.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Chris,

On the front of a recent AT it says:

BAG UP ON THE BIG WAG!!!

Are the editors of the angling press really lowering our great sport to that of football?

Come on Richard Lee, come on AT, what the heck do you think you are playing at?

It's all going back to the dreaded times of Higginbottom and Kelly again.

I'll bet they will have a slapper on page three before long.

And "Whinge of the Week" on the letter page, or somthing even worse.

Henry Hall

Reaction score
Many thanks for the kind words everyone, I only hope the rest of the story is as well recieved.

Thanks to your encouragement I've started a couple more stories. I'll send them to Graham for consideration when they're finished.

Thanks again.

Regards H.H

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Henry, like I said on the other thread, that article is a bit special to say the least and you fully deserve the praise you're getting for it.

Along with other articles on this site I'm sure they would make for a good short story book, sort of bedtime stories. What do you reckon Graham, you have experience in this field, could it be done or is the cost too great

matt

Reaction score
I've just re-read this series of articles which first appeared 3 years ago. Absolutely top drawer if you missed them the first time round read them all. If youv'e already read them read them again.

Great story writting