Pilgrim’s Progress

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Sedge

Very good article, spot on. Expressed exactly my views.

I agree that this country has largely 'gone soft'. Because few people see their dinner being killed anymore it kind of slips there mind that the sunday roast was once a living, breathing creature.

The anti's are nothing but hypocrits and liars.

R

Ron Clay

Sedge,
I also read that bit in a Peta web site where they said that Jesus was a vegetarian and anti-fishing. Looking forward to your comments.

A really excellent article. I would like to see it published in both Angling Times and a major national daily.

J

john conway

Excellent article I agree with all you have said. As well as fishing I live on a smallholding and the little lamb that we are bottle-feeding at the moment will be in the freezer next year. No I couldn’t kill the lamb now but next year it will be a sheep and all the cuddly sentiment will have gone. Its not a child and will never grow up to be a human being.
For millions of years we have had no trouble with our relationship with animals both wild and domestic until the media started to endow animals with human feelings. Excuse my French but what a load of bollocks!!!!!

R

Richard McConnell

Sedge,
Brilliant article.
I thought I'd relate an experience of a friend of mine.
While at lunch one Monday,his boss asked him if he'd been fishing at the weekend."What!Fishing?"a female colleague retorted,followed with a lament of how cruel it was to inflict pain by sticking hooks in wee fish,and then killing them.Even when my friend explained that all fish were returned to the water alive,reason was still not seen.
So as a final attempt, she was asked
"What did you just have for your dinner?"

"Chicken."was the reply.

Fishing fraternity-1
Hypocrites-0

P

Peter Waller

Jesus a vegetarian, I don't think so! Were his friends, the desciples, PETA supporters, no, they were humble fishermen. Jesus fished with them, even told them 'to cast their net on the other side' in order to catch. When it came to the feeding of the 5000, with what did Jesus feed them? Loaves and fishes! I don't profess to be a perfect Christian but if I felt fishing and meat eating was against biblical teaching then I wouldn't do it.

P

Peter Waller

Jesus a vegetarian, I don't think so! Were his friends, the desciples, PETA supporters, no, they were humble fishermen. Jesus fished with them, even told them 'to cast their net on the other side' in order to catch. When it came to the feeding of the 5000, with what did Jesus feed them? Loaves and fishes! I don't profess to be a perfect Christian but if I felt fishing and meat eating was against biblical teaching then I wouldn't do it.

S

Stewart Bloor

Thanks for the positive comments one and all...I tried, as always, to write in a balanced and rational way.
Regarding the PETA web site about Jesus being a veggie and anti-fishing, I thought that would be useful to the thinking angler, as quite frankly their (PETA)thread of argument is nothing short of telling lies. I guess the average angler doesn't really know too much about the Bible, but as someone who does (I'm a Rev to anyone who doesn't know), I was amazed at the way they simply twisted and manipulated scripture to 'prove' their own point.
In fact, I cover the areas that Peter has mentioned above ie the feeding of the 5,000, casting the net over the side etc. And more.
After this weeks article I called next weeks PETA...Pilgrim Extends The Attack...nice one eh?

D

Davy North

A very good article, and it is quite true we will never cut any ice with the anti's, but if angling is ever to be banned it would down to wishes of the public as a whole. This is why getting in with hunters bothers me. Everything these days boils down to image rather than substance, just take a politics. Is joining forces with hunters the way to show the public angling is a caring environmentaly friendly sport? As for the image of the anti's with the public, in my experience if they even know they exist, is one of rather sad people with nothing better to do. However this is no case for complacency, we must counter their lies and propaganda at every turn, and as Sedge says promote our own image every chance we get. All this for a quiet days fishing.