Autumn/Winter Chubbing

M

Matthew White

What are the best methods and baits to use when fishing foe chub inthe autumn and winter?
i have heard cheese is good, how do I make cheese paste?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Mature cheddar with Danish Blue 60/40 and some breadcrumb. Simple as that mate. Bit messy, takes some kneeding. You can try dying it too, red seems to be a real winner.

F

Fred Bonney

I've used,with success Stilton straight on the hook a big lump moulded on to a size 6 Also, I'm told canadian cheddar moulded on the hook is good, I'll try it this winter.
Still find a piece of flake or a lob hard to beat.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Heres one recipe for cheese paste...

4ozs frozen shortcrust pastry (from supermarket) 4ozs blue cheese and 4ozs strong cheddar cheese . Let the pastry thaw out and grate the cheddar cheese, when you've done that just mix it all together until you get a nice paste.
half a teaspoon of garlic paste can be added to give an extra kick

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Got that one in the freezer Eddie, Hmmmmmmm, i think a trip to the river is in order.

E

sounds good .....
got to make some room in freezer ??? well,thats your excuse anyway

Reaction score
Don't forget to take a loaf of bread along with your cheese.Bread alone is a very good bait.
Oh and my method is a simple link ledger setup nothing fancy.

E

Sounds like Matthew is impressed too

M

Matthew Nightingale

With cheese paste how big a blob do you put on the hook and do you bury the hook point in the paste or have it sticking out? I think I've heard that it hardens and could mask the point.

TIA

Matthew

M

Matthew White

Thanks for the help fellas i will give it a go on my next visit

M

Matthew Nightingale

Don't worry about my post above. I tried Eddie's recipe on Sunday afternoon on the Ribble (just put a blob of paste on a Size 12 hook) and caught a beautiful Chub, the best I've ever caught. I don't weigh fish but it was at least 18" long and a very deep and solid fish with beautiful colouring (the sort the Ribble is rightly famous for).

Thanks for the advice; you can tell I'm chuffed!

Matthew

E

Well done Matthew --
Isnt it easy to make with the frozen pastry mix ??

E

did you add garlic ?? make some of each and then it just gives a little variation to take

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

And don't forget good old fashioned bread crust.

All you need is a farmhouse loaf that has been let to go a bit stale for a couple of days. Use at least a size 6 hook and put a shot about 1 inch from the hook. Put the hook in crust side of a fare piece of the bread and out again crust side. The bread will pop up nicely.

I have also found that a bit of processed cheese smeared on the crust works well.

An if you are really into chub fishing, get a copy of Tony Miles book: "Search for Big Chub".

It's the best ever written on the subject.

M

Matthew Nightingale

I put 4 oz of frozen short crust in the freezer over night with a teaspoon of garlic paste mixed in. Then in the morning I added some Danish Blue and some red stuff the wife had! The latter was coarsley grated while the Blue just crumbled in.

I catapulted in a few free offerings now and again. Didn't get too many offers apart from the one that counted!

NB there's quite a discussion going on the Coarse Forum re Autumn/Winter chub at the moment.

Matthew