BAA live bait ban

chav professor

Reaction score
Thought i might pole the interest for general comment on the live bait ban. I was so incensed i put finger to type board - unsure if it will be published, however:

Dear Angling Times

It is very short sighted For the Birmingham Angling Association to ban a legitimate method in order to protect the branch of the sport that they enjoy most (pleasure/match). Pike anglers don't use keep nets - having seen plenty emptied in my time, many fish do not recover and swim round in a confused state due to the STRESS caused by overcrowding. Live baiting pails into insignificance when compared to the matchmans’ and pleasure anglers’ 'barbaric' and ‘outdated practice’ of retaining fish for a final weigh in. Isn’t it a shame that when our beloved sport requires us to be united and speak with one voice, the actions of the BAA open up division. What do they think our sport will benefit from by proposing that other clubs follow their example? I admire the way that Pike Anglers Club successfully negotiated an exemption on live baiting with the Environmental Agency, truly a strong organisation with views and beliefs worth listening to. The Environmental Agency recognise that the views of ALL anglers need to be listened to, it was never their intention to ‘outlaw’ a so called controversial method. The actions of the BAA were cowardly, short sighted, and did not even bother to consult with their own membership. Only a VERY small minority of people want to see angling banned, their strength is that they are united to one cause –banning all fishing methods. I can’t see them giving up now, they can sit back and watch us chip slowly away at the sport we all love. If this isn’t a time for us to unite what is? Don’t be apathetical, the future of angling as we love it requires us to speak with one voice, I for one will be making my thoughts known to John Williams – Secretary of Birmingham Anglers Association.

Don't sit on your laurels boys! I dunno if its worth it but this is certainly something to kick up a fuss about. Their email address is baajnw@btinternet.com