New rod

K

Keith Hacking

Its my birthday in a couple of weeks,And i'm going to treat myself to a new rod.
Its for ledger and swimfeeder for chub in winter,Also trotting for grayling, chub etc.
Also trotting shrimps for salmon,plus worming for game fish etc.
I'd thought of getting the john wilson avon quiver the 11 ft and 13 ft one.
But when i went in the local tackle shop they had'nt got one in stock.
But they did have the grays prodigy in.the barbel one similar spec,ie pound and a half avon tip,plus a quiver top with three tips.looks a cracker but i 'v not seen the john wilson rod.
Anyone compared both rods,And could give me some advice.
thanks keith.

C

Chris Bishop

Can't comment on the Grey's, got me dad the new Wilson rod and he reckons it's the biz - he's a bit of an all-rounder but doesn't go worming or grayling fishing.

Not my cup of tea but looked well-made and fairly versatile.

K

Keith Hacking

Just had a look at the members reviews,john wilde mentions that he cant fit his centrepin reels to this rod. the john wilson avon quiver.
Have to take mine to try on the grays rod no
good if i cant fish my pins on it.
Should have looked at these before.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

They should all use the top class Fuji DPS reel seat on most rods these days. They will accomodate virtually any reel.

I used to buy that reel seat for the equivalent of ?2.00 when I built rods years ago.

A

Alan Roe

Both rods are excellent bits of kit For me the Greys rod has the advantage of breaking down into three equal sections which is great for hiding in the car boot.
However it is significantly more powerfull than the JW rod and you may consider it a touch over gunned for grayling!
It will certainly fit the bill for worming for salmon.
Both rods will handle feeder work though the Greys rod will handle the bigger feeders better especially if you have to cast a long way I tend to use heavily modified Drennan oval feeders 2.5 ozs and upwards for barbel on the Ribble.
Both rods will stop double figure barbel with little trouble.
The extra foot of the JW rod is a bonus when trotting but this is offset for me by the inconvenience of the rod being too long to hide in the car when broken down.
Modern pins will fit both rods though the J.W.sometimes struggles with the older reels notably those from the old Grice and Young stable.
As I have said both rods are fine bits of kit and both will give years of great service in the end it boils down to personal choice........Me I bought one of each!

K

Keith Hacking

Thanks chaps.
I think it will be the grays rod it will do more of what i want from it.
I can stick to my match rod for the trotting for grayling etc.
mind you one of our members had a three pound ten ounce grayling last year bet that pulled a bit.
thanks keith.

K

Keith Hacking

Just an update,got the greys rod yesterday,took it out to christen it this morning and got my biggest salmon yet.
Sixteen and a quarter pounds,heck of a fight with this rod and centrepin reel before i released it.
Feels really nice,think i'm going to like this rod a lot.
keith.

C

Chris Bishop

What a fish, which river did you catch it on..? I fished a salmon river years ago, never managed to catch one.

K

Keith Hacking

On the ribble chris,our club has a large pool on the ribble below the calder amongst other stretches.this is the fifth year i'v fished this stretch now,and i'm getting to know it now.
their is one part of it were the fish lie only about twenty yards long.which seem to be what they call a taking lie.
I'v had three salmon and lost one so far this year,from this one small part of a pool which is may'be four hundred yards long.
Its good fun trotting shrimps on a pin,if you get the chance try it sometime.
keith.

I

Ian Whittaker

Nice one Keith,I wanted a couple of hours before work today but I was too tired. I'll be out next week though!

K

Keith Hacking

Alan have a look here.
www.ribblesdaleangling.co.uk

hi ian hope we get some rain soon,not much of the season left.
By the way have you seen many grilse about,seems to be none about this year,usually get a few creeping up without the rain on big tides,nothing yet.
keith

I

Ian Whittaker

I've only been out 6 times so far Keith but i've seen a few - funny thing is that at times the river seems devoid of fish but if you're out for long enough they show somewhere.

K

Keith Hacking

hi ian.
yes your right there,some days its very quiet and other days you will see a few,very quiet for salmon yet,just not enough rain to fetch them up yet.
loads of sea trout about at the moment,just come back from a walk by the river,a lot of fish jumping out tonite.some big ones too.Might have a go tomorrow nite.
keith.