Furled Leaders

E

Eddie Caldwell

Graham wrote a piece about furled leaders that caught my imagination so I got a few. Anyone else tried the furled leaders yet?
I'm going to try one next week and see how they work.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
With more experience of them I must say they are so much better with a short leader and especially with dry fly.

E

Eddie Caldwell

Graham

I'm trying them out tomorrow and I'll follow your advice about dry fly.

Cheers!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Eddie, I was up towards your way on Friday on Pennine. Had 17 and my mate had 15, most of them to white buzzers fished on the nymph furled leader and a 9ft tippet.

Jim Williams

Reaction score
Hi Eddie,
Did you manage to wet the leaders?....even better, did you manage any tension, a'la, catch a whopper?
I'm suprised by the vast number of flyfishers that have never heard of these (Even many professionals), although they've been a round for some 300 years.
I think the reason is that they require patience and there's little about the time consuming process that can be automated. Good job there's ANORAK's like me.

E

Eddie Caldwell

Jim and Graham

I had a cracking day out with 9 rainbows up to 4lbs.

I fished a DT5 floating line with a 4lbs fluoro tippet.

Easy to cast and everytime that lovely flip over of the fly as the line settles. I think that the almost exaggerated pendular movement that allows the fly to literally hit the water is an extra attraction to any neighbouring fish who turn round and investigate. I had several takes from yards away as fish homed in on the noise made by the fly.

I'm taking them to Scotland next week for some river and loch fishing and I'll send a report in when I get back.

Cheers!

Eddie.