Angling Writers from 60s & 70s

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Jeff Woodhouse mentioned the cloned writers of today. But who were the best writers from the 60s and 70s? And who are those you DO seek out today?

My starters for you from the past; **** Walker, David Carl Forbes, Fred J Taylor....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Walker and Taylor have to be "given" but these days their books tend to be on the pricey side.

In addition I try to find anything by Len Arbury or Len Head, although more like the 80's than the 60's or 70's.

I would tend to agree about the majority of today's authors who seem to pen descriptive advertisements rather than a treatise on angling.
Although, noting the sponsorship deals around it is hardly surprising.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

It depends which branch of angling you are into.

Walker was and is still, the finest Briish angling writer of all time and is the yardstick by which all others, including the writers of today should be judged.

In coarse fishing I would rate Peter Stone, Tag Barnes, Frank Guttfield, Graham Marsden, Ray Webb, Barrie Rickards, Fred J Taylor and then men like Dave Stueart.

In game fishing, Reg Reghyni, Arthur Oglesby, Terry Thomas, Bob Church - and of course **** Walker.

Sea Angling would be Clive Gammon and Derek Fletcher.

There may be others I have left out, but these are the ones that come to mind.

L

Les Clark

Mark, Im with you on the three you have stated,today I read anything by Tim Paisley,although I have found his latest"carp" to be more of a reference book.
Im reading "carp amid the storm" at the moment,trouble is ,I dont want to finish it,
brilliant,but I could allway`s read it again.
Elliott Symak,I didn`t like his work when I first read him,a bit of a sarky git,but now I like his style,just a bit dry.
Jim gibbinson,he talk`s sense,but down his nose at people.(he will now,he on the bench).
I will read read anything that I can get hold of and will buy(if the price is right)
from e-bay.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Sorry, but Chris didn't come until the 70s.

Oh on sea anglers, I forgot Leslie Moncrieff.

L

Les Clark

Dave, Chis yate`s haven`t read any of his,

yet!!!!!!!

R

Richard Drayson

Peter Wheat springs to mind as does Bernard Venables of course.
I used to enjoy reading Dave Steuart in 'Creel' magazine as well.
Ah... the good old days!

D

Dave Rothery

does say 60's AND 70's ron, if you care to read it properly.
jim gibbinson, gerry savage. frank murgett

D

Dave Rothery

i know what you mean les, i read it in one day. couldn'e put it down. carp season is the same.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Sorry Dave.

Jim Gibbinson has been a close friend of mine since I hosted him on a 3 week trip in SA.

One of my favourite writers of the 70s is Jim.

He also has a tremendous sense of fun. His article in the old "Coarse Angler" where he took apart some of the "ultra-cult" carp boys was a classic.

Remember the ultra cult days of the 70s?

D

Dave Rothery

i was 7 at the end of them. i had a friend who was "ultra cult" insomuch that his dad bought him maggots, we had to use worms from the garden, and bread nicked from my mum!

D

Dave Rothery

i dont buy any comics these days, hows jim getting on?

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

I'll give him a call and let you all know.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Jim's not at home at the moment. I'll call him again tommorow evening after I return from the Don.

The last time I spoke to him he was heavy into catching mullet on the float.

A true all-rounder is our Jim.

Actually Chris, during a UK holiday I had in 1978, I had a walk around Clumber Park lake with a friend. There were a number of ultra-cult anglers. As you say, all their rod were painted matt black, as were there rod rests. And they all had little camouflaged hides set up that they were hiding behind. And they all were casting out over 60 yards.

And when you asked them how the fishing was going, they never said a word and stared blindly at their monkey climbers - remember them?

It was a laugh a minute!

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Oh and by the way, Jim's brother Rick, invented monkey climbers.

I used them with great effect in SA.

Must make some more; knitting needles suddenly disappeared in my Mother-in-Law's house.

Happy memories!!