Pleasure Angler

G

Goose Ganderton

I was fishing one of my local lake a few days ago after some jumbo Perch, It's a very lightly fished water and I was the only one there when along came this old boy. What you after mate? Perch I said, what about you. Oh I'm just a pleasure angler and I'll take anything that comes along.

He set up a few swims away from me. After a couple of hours I walked along to see how he was doing and have a chat. He had one rod out for Pike, a second for Carp and was using a third float fishing for Roach and skimmers. I left him and went back to put my rods back out.

A couple of hours later one of his buzzers went off followed shortly by the second one, then up went the shout HELP!!! HELP!!!. You guest it, he had a Pike and Carp on at the same time. I had to pull in my rods to help him out of trouble. I must just add that this is not the first time that this has happened to me

Is this type of fishing a pleasure cos for me it was just a pain

A

Alan Roe

Isn't this a risk that is taken by anyone who fishes more than one rod???
(Light blue touch paper and retire sharpish!!)

A

Alan Roe

A

Alan Roe

C

Chris Bishop

The angling weeklies encourage people to sling out a pike rod on the off-chance.
Nine times out of 10, it's fished without proper bite indication and some poor pike ends up deep hooked.

R

Rob Brownfield

I fished a private water on the Duchey of Lancasters estate (dont tell him *wink*) and on the first night I had 3 fish on at once and two fish on at once...twice! It was a case of setting the hook and laying the rod down with the bail arm open. The seconf night I ended up fishing the one rod as I was exhausted! That was an exception though!!
In nearly 30 years of fishing, beside that episode, I have hooked 2 pike at once on 3 occasions. When younger I would put out a rod for carp/pike and floatfish and there were a few occasions that I had to drop a poor roach back in as the other rod went screaming off.

However, I made sure I had a large net, an un hooking mat (yep, I uesed one over 20 years ago) and that I knew how to handle a big fish. I think i have only asked for another anglers help on one occasion, but I am the quiet, retiring type anyway!

David Preston

Reaction score
Don't want to be pedantic, but the Duke of Lancaster is HM The Queen, so it's 'her'.

R

Rob Brownfield

David...really??? How can a Duke be a her?...Anyway...won't argue as i have no idea. I was put on the water by the guy who runs Wyreside. A one off visit unfortuantly

P

Paul Williams

Is it not the Duchy of Lancaster? i'm intrigued now!!

S

Stewart Bloor

OK Alan, we got your message first time (snigger)...
Regarding the use of multiple rods, I think it depends what type of fishing you do and also if the swim you are in will sustain it.