The Fishing Licence

• Thread starter Ron (Rontroversial) Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

After a lot of thinking, I feel that Iain Duncan Smith is wrong in his call for the abolishing of the fishing licence.

Not only does this licence give revenue for the maintenance of our fisheries, it gives us anglers a respectability that we should treasure, even though other water users do not require a licence.

Iain, I truly am pleased that you are an angler and you support our great sport.

However for you and your party to want to do away with the fishing licence is tantamount to lowering all of us to cyclists and walkers.

We as anglers have a vested interest in maintaining our fisheries, a truly precious resource which benefits all wildlife; and we do not mind paying for it.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
The EA licence is a complete rip off.

Just an excuse to raise revenue from people trying to carry out a past-time, which costs nobody else anythng.

Scandelous.

R

Richard Drayson

There's always sea fishing Murray!!!
Mind you, the price of a good boat if you ever fancied some English Channel wrecking might put you off!

J

john conway

Murry, when you?ve removed ?14 to ?16 million from the coffers of the EA that is spent on restocking, and pollution control etc. From whom are you going to take the monies to replace the licence fees that pay for these services or what other service are you going to sacrifice?

daren heslop

Reaction score
I was brought up to "stand my round" If we pay for what we have its harder for people to take it away.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

I fully agree Daren.

Personally I think the fishing licence is too cheap and does not raise enough revenue. My proposal would be this:

?100.00 a year which is charged to all people in employment, over the age of 21.

Persons under 21, pensioners and the unemployed should pay nothing, but they must get a registration document from the Post Office for say a very nominal fee - ?1-00 seems about right.

People do not seen to have much problems paying a TV licence or a licence for a motor car which is about the same. And I get far more fun out of my fishing than my TV.

Also daily and monthly licences should be avaiable for visitors to the country or for those who only wish to fish on their annual holday.

All licence holders should also be issued with a code of conduct and be encouraged to read it.

However I would not like to see the German style of licence introduced where you have to take a test.

That is just too draconian.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
If fishing were to be banned in this country(just a Scenario this), would the EA still function in the same way?

It would have lost an awfull lot of revenue off of the backs of US, THE ANGLERS.

Who else has too pay for a licence to the EA or such a simple past-time?

It's just a way of bringing in more money, by indirect tax, against those who have no choice but to obey, or risk the big fine.

IT's Scandelous.

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
I think that having to buy a rod licence is the first point at which an individual is held accountable for themself i.e they are given a sense of responsibility towards their angling.

The current licence system isn't perfect, in fact at times you could be forgiven for thinking it downright abysmal. However I think it, or at least some kind of 'first base' accountability is neccesary to ensure anglers pursue their hobby with a sense of a 'duty of responsibility.'

Might be worth dropping the belief that we have a divine right to interact, with no restrictions, in the way we do with natural creatures as well. If you wanted to capture and handle wild birds, for instance you'd have to be licenced up to the hilt. In fact it's hard to think of any other sector of nature i.e other than fish where you wouldn't encounter huge restrictions, should you want to interact with them to the degree that we anglers do. That privilige alone is surely worth the licence fee which,as Ron says, would be more effective if set at a higher level for those that can afford it.

Regards Chris

C

Chris Bishop

We need to see this for what it is - instant soundbite, policy making on the hoof.

The chances of it becoming reality are about the same as the chances of the Tories winning the next election.

A

Andy Nellist

I have no real worry about paying ?44 a year to the EA but I do often think what doies the license actually achieve ?

Road tax is used as way of making sure that cars have an MOT and Insurance and forces the owner to register with the DVLA.

The TV license funds programming by the BBC which keeps out TV at the highest standard in the world.

The UK goivernment never has has a direct link between spefic taxes and expemnditure.

Funding for the EA comes from general taxation and on every bit of bait and tackle and petrol I buy in order to go fishing I'm taxed at 17.5 %.

Most anglers only contact with the EA is having their license checked which given some of the baliffs they employ is often an
itrritating experience. I have had hassle from several in the past despite the fact that I always have had licenses and have never been breaking a by-law when I have been approached.

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
'I have no real worry about paying ?44 a year to the EA'

You should think yourself lucky it's not charged on a 'pay as you catch' basis Andy. I'd probably be getting a rebate, but you'd end up financially destitute!! (lol)

S

Stuart Johnson

Ron,

?100 a year you must be joking.

I do not mind paying the current amount, which appears to be about right. But a ?100 no chance.

Under 21's, unemployed and OAP's ?1 get real.

I have been paying tax for the last 30 years or so, vat on god knows what for how long I can not remember.

I get taxed enough as it is and any sugestion to increase the burden on my leasure time is a no go area.

Why should we contribute further when we get ripped of enough as it is.

If you want to increase taxation for the good of every one increase tax by 1p per week per person on the understanding that this goes to the health service and education.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Pay as you catch? Love it,

I buy two licences cos I have occasion to fish with with four rods, but I do this out in the sticks (so to speak), and im sure that the EA would never bover looking at this lake.

But fish an advertised match in Milton Keynes!!!!!!!!!

I still think it's Scandelous.

J

john conway

Murray, if fishing were to be banned, then the first thing to go would be the restocking of rivers and the low level control of pollution. When flood defences were being constructed there would be no need to consider fish stocks. Landowners would fill in their ponds and lakes and put the land to another use, turn them into boating lakes or may be some form of paying nature reserve. Landfill sites are becoming very scares?? The EA would simply shift its priorities to keep their next highest paying customer happy.

T

Tim Richardson

Ron,you agree with the comment of "standing your round and paying for what you get". Then in the next posting you expect OAPs, under 21s and the unemployed to be subsidised by the ordinary working man.An obvious contradiction.

A

Andy Nellist

My son has to get a license and he is only 13. I'd love to know what the EA do if they catch a junior fishing without one.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Ron, was the suggestion of ?100 a year for a licence really intended or are you trying to wind everybody up. I hope so because thats a totally outragous amount and if it was to be the case then I doubt very much whether we would see any improvement on what we already get anyway. It might pay for some new swans for the illegals though come to think of it

W

Wolfman Woody

The EA would never put the rod licence up too much for fear that it would put many people off fishing completely, or they wouldn't bother buying one. They'll keep it like the tax on fags, never enough to make you want to quit.

It's all done after consultation with the fisheries consultatives anyway. If you don't have a say on them, blame yourself of blame your club. They should be members and they shoudl attend their local groups.