Freespool Reels

A Wayne

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new Freespool reel after my other one broke. (Well it started making a clicking noise so I dismantled it and couldn't put it back together again in working condition, then broke a part -whoops)And I'd like to know, is Freespool the same as Okuma's Baitrunner and if so is the interceptor Baitfeeder from Okuma any good, or are there any better for the price i.e the Shakespeare Summit freespool?

Thanks in advance.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I have 2 Okuma dynadrag 50's and they are fine. Not in same class as Shimano but then again they cost a lot less. There was quite a bit on this subject a few weeks ago, have a look at some past threads.

M

Mike Lee

If you want to pay around ?40 for a reel, then that's ok so long as you aren't suprised when it falls apart after heavy use.

Baitrunner is a copywrited name to be used only when describing Shimano reels.

All other reels that employ a similar mechanism are described as freespools.

You can also buy freespool conversions for big pit reels whereby the spool drag knob is lifted by a lever to disengage the spool from the centre wheel cog.

I have an Okuma freespool reel that I use on my marker rod. I have had it for less than one season and it already makes some rather disturbing noises when reeling in a weedy marker float.

ian hewett

Reaction score
I purchased Shimano from the start so cannot comment on others products but if you can save then go for a Shimano they do cheap ones as well with a few less ball bearings that only a expert would miss. I have nine Shimano reels and they will always be my first stop when looking for a new reel.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
You should be able to buy shimano baitrunner 8000' gtes for peanusts these days, that'll do the trick!

A Wayne

Reaction score
where can I buy the 8000 gte's for peanuts? cos they seem pretty expensive to me. Second Hand?

M

michael rouse

fishtec uk do the 8000gte for around 70 and thr re for 60.There great reels 10 roller bearings make it better.

M

michael rouse

where can i buy a cheap rod hold all for a 2 piece 12 ft carp rod

G

goff dyer

Shimanos for me everytime, its been said before by the best you can afford.

B

Budgie Burgess

I personnaly dont think Shimmano are as great a quality reel as a lot of people think.However there is no doubt that when it comes to baitrunner/free spool mechanisms then the Shimmanos are the market leaders.Rather than purchasing one of the cheaper copies I would reccomend buying second hand.They have been around long eneough now too find some real cheap second hand examples.Not being a Shimmano buff please excuse me if I am mistaken but I belive the models you should look at are the 3500 SeaSpins {the origonal bait runner) or the modern shaped 4000 or 6010.Try the AT or AM second hand pages or if you go onto Ebay dont get carried away with the price.Any of the mentioned reels can be brought in good used condition for ?30.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
As I have said on another thread, I have always had Shimanos but bought a couple of Okuma Epix EB 50's about a month ago and think they are unbelievable value for the money. A mate has got two Okuma interceptor 40's and for 29.00 each, he says they are an absolute steal.
I haven't seen a Shimano with the same quality for 29.00 and I love my Shimanos.

C

Chris Bishop

Not a carp angler, but I've got other freespool reels - Okumas and Daiwas - I've bought cheap for wife, kids etc on the odd occasions they come out with me.

The 8010GT Baitrunners were/are a better reel than the newer Nexus 8000GTE's - I've got both and the newer reels, eight or 10 months old - are as rattly as ones I've been using four or five years.

The problem I find is the spools work loose on the spindles, which knackers your line lay and sometimes efforts to set indicators "tight", the bail arm rollers eventually seize up and the handles either wobble or get bent.

I've also had one of the GTE reels seize on me second time I used it and had it replaced, ie hooked a fish, knocked the anti-reverse off to let it have some line and it jammed solid.

If you're buying one second hand don't buy one off a pike angler, as we tend to winch much heavier rigs around, cast heavier weights and the kit gets a lot of knocks.

Check the baitrunner isn't seized or stiff and the drag's still smooth - I fish with mine screwed up tight and back-wind, if the guy who had the reels before you did, the chances are the washers are sticky.

Also check for bent spindles - using braid can put a lot of pressure on if you pull against a snag or even bend into a fish a long way out drifter fishing.

Second-hand carp anglers' reels don't get subjected to this kind of abuse.

As far as other makes go, the Daiwa Regals/Emblems are quite robust but the Regals' spools are fairly narrow, which might be an issue if you need to cast any distance.

I must admit the Okuma reels I've got for my son feel plasticky, the bail arm bends when there's any pressure on it and the spools have a moulding mark which I'm sure will cut casting distance and even chafe the line if he used them with braid.

Value for money equals kit that will last and stand up to the abuse in my book.

I reckon I'd have worn out three or four cheaper reels for all the mileage I've had from Shimanos which have never had a service.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Chris,
I can asure you that the Okuma Epix EB 50's that I have Bought for 49.99 each, are certainly not plasticky.
What did you buy ?

A Wayne

Reaction score
I bought the Okuma IBF 50, it feels very well put together and the last thing I would call it is plasticky! There isn't a strand of plastic on it!

C

Chris Bishop

Bill, they're Okuma Dynadrags. Be Ok for my son's first "proper" pike fishing, once he can look after these reasonably well I'll trade him up to something else.

B

Bill Cox

As i have written on other threads I have used okuma freespools for years and never had any problems.The Epix 40s and 50s are the best value for money reels out there.10 ball bearings adds up to smooth in any ones language.I used to borrow a shimano off of my brother in law (a self confessed tackle tart)when i first got into carping around seven years ago,and i am of the opinion that for pleasure anglers the difference in preformance compared to the epix does not warrant the outlay.Their is a lot of cheap crap out there but okuma reels ,even the cheapest ones are 100%value for money.

C

Chris Bishop

I'll see if they last a winter. They just feel plasticky to me, but seven-year-old lad isn't quite as heavy-handed as his dad...