Eating your catch

R

Ron Clay

In the latest issue of Angling Star, Barrie Rickards in his regular column writes about killing coarse fish for food.
"I have warned coarse anglers time and time again that if they think that taking the occasional coarse fish (perch, eels or pike) for food is wrong, then they'll need to explain why they pull 'em in and put 'em back. The pundits say that that is cruel, not eating fish."
Where it is allowed and where a species is prolific, I have often killed and eaten the odd perch, jack pike, eel, zander, black bass, tilapia and even carp.
I have never had a problem with doing so as I find the act of eating your catch philosophically sound.

What do you think?

P

p jackson

ron i may upset one or two people here but coarse fish were placed into man made pit and lakes hundreds of years ago by ie farmer and monks etc as a food source. one for the pot in my book is fine also alot of waters wouldn't be here today if it was not for this practise

A

Andrew Thomas

To find fault with this argument one would have to be an unreconstructed vegan: plastic shoes and nylon shirts[nasty!]

I support the motion.

ps: Perch are delicious, I ate them in a Canadian restaurant. Pike also,en France. Can't speak for carp.

P

p jackson

here here , carp taste a bit fishy ! want to sample coarse fish try Bolton fish market

G

Goose Ganderton

As long as you have plenty of chips and brown sauce, and I must say I prefere mine straight out of newspaper but not the Sport cos its covered in crap and I should know cos I work for them now and again.

C

Carp Angler

Come on Ron, think of a new thread.
You ran this one up the flagpole a couple of months ago.
Remember if you take fish from a water then you need permission to do so from the owners, otherwise it's theft.

P

Paul Williams

Goose,
Do you take pic's for the Sport???.....do you want someone to carry your camera???? :eek:)

P

p jackson

carp angler you are right permission is needed i had permission thanks to the owner look on local fish stall or ask then to get some. didn't know this one had run before thank anyway.

S

Stewart Bloor

I think the attitudes towards the eating of coarse fish has changed a lot in recent years. Read some old angling books and you'll find recipes for bream, tench, chub etc, the whole lot.
I had a grand-father, who due to the society in which he grew up, would eat (mostly) anything that moved. He would see coarse fish as 'for the pot'.
But times have changed and most anglers these days would not want to eat barbel, roach or gudgeon etc. We live in a more prosperous society where the need to 'kill to eat' is not essential any longer. Therefore, most of us are happy with taking a few photos and letting our catch go.
It's not just towards coarse fish, but towards game that there's been a change. It's very rare these days to see the shop that has has unskinned rabbits, unplucked pheasants et al hung up waiting to be sold.
I think it's true to say that the taking of (coarse) fish to eat would be more prevalent the older the generation you look at. (No disrespect to anyone intended by that last remark, by the way)

P

p jackson

none taken stewart as i am in my early thirties and i'll eat most things that move but still if asked to remove a fish iwould sooner eat it than throw it in the bush other wise the pleasure is to put them back to catch another day

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Ron ----

You cant beat a stillwater battered barbel and chips .....wrapped up in the Angling Star

hehe

P

Paul Williams

You sound very happy today Eddie, i wonder why? had a good days fishing as well as the other?? :eek:)

E

Not bad Paul ------ It was just those still water barbel at Cudmore that made me think of it ---

Some of the lads were going to hit them over the head to put them out of their misery seeing as how they dont like being in still water !!
hahaha

G

Goose Ganderton

If you like Paul I can add you to the list Daily Sport assistants but I must warn you it is rather long.

P

Paul Williams

Yes please add me, and please mail me a list of the others on the list......i want to make them an offer!!!!! :eek:)

F

Fergal Scully

Theres nothing wrong with taking one or two fish of appropriat size from prolific fisheries. Its all down to whether you have respect for your environment or not. Recently I was fishing a stocked trout lake for recently stocked brownies. I caught over thirty fish and released them all most people fishing kept one or two fish and released the rest fine aswell. But one boat was found by fisheries inspectors to have over 30 dead trout by fisheries inspectors. These are people with no respect. So the same rules apply to coase fish but in private fisheries you must gain permission.

A

Alan Roe

As in all these issues the application of an element of common-sense is the best approach.
For those who wish to eat the odd fish be it coarse or game there should be no problem providing, that in the case of private fisheries the permission of the owner is sought first. However fishmongering should be discouraged amongst those of us who do not angle for a living.
Equally for those who choose not to eat any of the fish they catch that is their perogative.
What should be avoided is the attempt by those of either persuasion to seek to gain some form of moral high ground over those who hold a different viewpoint to themselves.
This activity is both destructive and divisive and should have no place in our pastime.
At a time when angling is seeking to find unity amongst it's disparate groups I feel that it is unhelpful to post deliberatly inflamatory threads on public forums which are calculated to inflame passions and thus create further divisions.
Can I suggest to all concerned to think about the possible destructive effects that a posting may create before pressing the 'send' button.
Regards
Alan

E

Alan-----
you know it was all tongue in cheek

A

Alan Roe

Eddie I know that your response was tongue in cheek and it was hugely enjoyed for what it was and I found it entertaining.

However I am concerned about what lies behind the motives of those who deliberatly post something provocative in the hope of getting an argument going.
Angling at this time does not need to go through another bout of washing it's linen in public.

So my point to those who wish to be seen as being 'controversial' ...usually for commercial reasons... is have a care and think before posting. In the long term to keep digging at old divisions is liable to do more harm that good.

R

Ron Clay

Rather than cause anglers to polarise into rival camps, I beleive that healthy debate on certain subjects is vital. This website has given me a better insite on anglers views and opinions.
By the way, I was in Poland recently and the Poles virtually eat everything they catch and.. the rivers and lakes are stuffed with fish!!!