Cormorants - today

S

Stuart Bullard

I heard on the radio today that this is being debated in a meeting with Government Officials TODAY together with "Representatives of Angling bodies". Who is representing angling?

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

I do not know.

All I can tell you is that in my area Cormorants seem to be getting less prevalent, as are swans and Canada geese.

Maybe the asylum seekers have a taste for cormorants.

C

Chris Bishop

It's a meeting of the Moran Ctte, so minutes should be available in a day or two, prob via the DEFRA website...

daren heslop

Reaction score
There are definetly less black death in my area for two reasons.
1, theyve eaten all the fish.
2, they keep picking up my deadbaits.

B

Balyk Sihir

In my native country these birds make good eating. With a belly full of fresh fish this can be turned into tasty appetiser. Empty contents of belly onto grill and eat while bird is roasting in oven. How you say? YUMYUM!

A

Ashe Hurst

The meeting was on the 8th september.
rodney coldron NFA is representing angling.

info, anglers mail 6.9.03

Colin Brett

Reaction score
I counted 2 flights of approx 30 [in each] land on Grafham on Sunday.
We spent 30 minutes chasing them around before they finally got the message. They probably flew up the other end??

At least we tried!!

Colin
I think we have got all Ron's swans and canadas as well, sh*t everywhere.

C

Chris Bishop

Can't find out what happened at the meeting anywhere - I'll have a go tomorrow.

A

Andy Nellist

There was a quote in the paper from Elliot Morley talking about creating refuges for fish on waters so that they could escape from the cormorants. I'm not sure what orifice he issue that comment from suggested that from but I have a pretty good idea.

C

Chris Bishop

They've been trialled on a couple of places up here and they seem to work.

The EA will come and help install them, they're like floating islands, moored to the lake bed.

It's worked on a bream/silver fish water down the road, along with ropes strung across the water.

Fine for a match lake, not so suitable for bigger/specimen waters, but the club concerned found the cormies soon abandoned the water, so maybe there's something worth looking at here.

This is a King's Lynn AA club water (Shepherd's Port) run in conjunction with the RSPB.

Both parties worked together and the end result is a water with flourishing bird life the average club angler can go and get a good net of roach and bream from.

We have to wake up to the fact a cull isn't acceptable to the wider conservation lobby, let alone the general public and work with these people.

C

Chris Bishop

Sorry, the water is right nest to Snettisham Beach, so was frequented by a lot of cormorants before they looked at trying to tackle the problem.

A

Andy Nellist

I've had quite a few large Tench this year which have had cormorant damage as did my largest Bream.

The RSPB are apparently supporing a cull of thousands of ruddy ducks in this country because they are non-native and are spreading and threatening rare species in spain. To stop the ruddy ducks hybridising with white-headed ducks, which are endangered, they have already culled (shot) 2,500+. in the meantime we have to put up with the spread of inland cormorants from europe causing huge damage to our fish stocks.

Apparently after the war there was a similar problem with cormorants but in those days they dealt with the problem quickly and efficiently.... by shooting them.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
200 of the buggers now on Grafham, the July bank looks as though it's covered in an oil slick.
Mind you the Bird watchers are in raptures.

Colin

D

Dave Slater

Andy,
You are right, they do damage big fish. I have caught chub well over 6lb with cormorant damage.

C

Chris Bishop

I've been trying since the day after the meeting to find out what happened.

All I've got to show for it, despite almost daily calls to the DEFRA press office, is a handout issued before the meeting and some briefing notes about Jnr Envt Minister Ben Bradshaw saying everyone has to work together, they're looking at pan-European initiatives and DEFRA has spent more than ?3m researching the problem.

I'll keep pressing to see if I can get a talk with BB fo a follow-up story.

The one noteworthy thing is there has been a survey and it concludes some waters could have lost up to half their fish "crop" as a result of cormorant predation.

The anglers call for cull spin was put on the thing by the Press Association from what I can work out. The press notice issued to all the dailies beforehand made no reference to this.

Colin's point about bird watchers is spot on. Bizarrely enough, they appear ignorant of the effect cormorant population increases could be having on native fish-eatin birds like herons, grebes, mergansers etc.