shore fishing in tenerife

D

Dave Oates

I am going on holiday to tenerife. can anyone advise what i need to take or methods and tactics. also what can you expect to catch? thanks for any help ,dave

A

Andy Nellist

Fill your suitcase with bread.

My lad and i took 7' telescopic rods and ?10 okuma reels to one of the other canary islands in August. We caught most of our fish on freelined floating breadflake on size 14's. You need to keep introducing bread to get them up on the top and at ?1.50 - ?2 a loaf it can get expensive as we were getting through up to 8 loaves an hour.

The locals didn't seem to catch much but we had stacks of fish including Thick and thin Lipped Mullet to about 2lb, Cow Bream to 1 lb and Derbio's to 4lb.

We tried squid on the bottom as well but had a lot less and smaller fish but some weird ones including puffer fish and trigger fish.

The only thing i regretted not taking was some thicker trace material and some bigger hooks so that we could have had a go at the baracudas that regularly appeared around the rocks at the harbour. they were not big up to maybe 5-6 lb max but I would have loved to play one on the light gear.

Make sure you set your drag properly as when you hook the derbios they can take off at a rate of knots and watch the sun when you are fishing as you are a long way south there and it's very intense.

Hope you have fun :eek:)