M Kausman

C

Chris Bishop

Have vague recollections of hearing of a guy called Maurice Kausman.

Have just been given a pewter tankard with

TO M A KAUSMAN

IN APPRECIATION

HUNTS POLICE ANGLERS

on it.

Anyone shed any light on it..?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I'm sure he used to write in Angling times

also books

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I'm sure he used to write in Angling times

also books

J

John Pleasance

I think iirc he was the bloke who whilst working for the Great Ouse and Cambridge river board was responsible for stocking Zander in the fens,amongst other things.

A

Andy Nellist

Steve Burke can probably tell more about him. He's got a book by the fella on his site published by AT in 1963 it was about fishing the Ouse.

jewelscape

Reaction score
Hi all...

Wonder if anyone can help..

Maurice Kausman was my great uncle, after researching my family tree i am keen to find any info out about him!

Just seen the post above about his book???

Can anyone give me any details please??

Many thanks,

Lisa

Reaction score
Hi Lisa,

Found these via google - so you may have this information;

Paragraph 7

Issue No. 71 - I think Professor Rickards is a member of this site so you may well be able to contact him through here - if you haven't done already

The section on the Close season - this article from FM briefly mentions your Great Uncle ..and gives you a contact address for Professor Rickards.

I can remember frequent references to Mr. Kausman in the Angling press of the 1970's onwards - when I started fishing. You may have some joy if you contact Angling Times and ask them to search the archives! I think he won the National Federation of Anglers Veterans' National title on at least one occasion - so the NFA is certainly another port of call.

Good luck

Poshpaul

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Staunch supporter of closed season; refused to fish Winter League final in Ireland in Spring. Fished for Huntingdon in many Nationals (30+?). Articles in AT & AM in 60s & 70s. Not responsible for zander in Fens.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Both Barrie Rickards and Neville Fickling will have known Maurice Kausman. Great Ouse River Authority fisheries committee and all that.

Certainly a Huntingdon man who was very involved in match angling.

I'm surprised there's not more about him on the net?

Angling Times will certainly have archives that can be searched, I don't think they will search for you. Give them a call to arrange a time when you can call, they will even supply you with a cuppa.

Colin

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Pikelines February 1996

Barrie Rickards obviously wrote about him in that issue. I'll have a look to see if I can find my copy.

Colin

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
From Operation Matchman in Angler's Mail June 10th 1966:

"Match fishing for 46 years in most english rivers - 22 years fishing to size limits and 24 years fishing 'all-in'.

Over 500 'first' and 300 places. once had 11 consecutive wins on 7 different rivers. Won the Civil Service National 3 times 48, 57, 59. No one else won it more than once.

This year as captain of Huntingdon he will be fsihing his 35th National in which he has been 5th 8th 13th and 15th.

Admin -

A member of GPC of NFA, Eastern Sports Council, Advisory Council of LAA. Long list of River boards plus executive of National Anglers Council."

I think it was Norman MacKenzie responsible for zander in 1963.

jewelscape

Reaction score
Thanks for that Colin, enjoyed reading it!

My father was adopted and ive just recently discovered his birth family history, and his father was Maurice's brother. He sounds like an amazing chap, and definitely deserved his OBE! such a shame we are too late to meet him...my Dad has no family to speak of, so would have been nice for him to make contact.

really need to contact Prof Rickards now....! be great to see a photo, to if there is any family resemblance!

thanks all again!

Lisa

jewelscape

Reaction score
Thankyou for that Colin, will do it straight away!!

Appreciate your help!!!

Lisa

Reaction score
Good luck for tracing him.

The name rings a bell in connection with Angling times with me as well, might of been mentioned in their christmas special looking back over the history of AT last year.

Ryan

K

Keith Williams

Maurice was well known for his involvement in all fishery matters having been one of the forefathers in the creation of Angling Consultative Committees

The first of these consultatives was the Great Ouse Fishery Consultative Association (GOFCA) founded in 1948 by the late Maurice Kausman, OBE of Huntingdon who, when he had lived in London in the 1920's been involved in the drafting of the 1923 Salmon & freshwater Fisheries Act. This Association advised the Great Ouse River Board on its fisheries responsibility and advised the Minister on appropriate persons with fisheries expertise and invariably, influence with fishery interests, to serve on the Board. GOFCA had, within its extensive membership base, all of the angling and fisheries organisations with water holdings in the Great Ouse catchment.

Translocation of pikeperch to the River Great Ouse system occurred in 1960,
when mature pikeperch were taken from Woburn to stock ponds of the then
Great Ouse River Authority. The fish bred successfully in the ponds and ninetyseven
individuals from this stock were subsequently released into the Great
Ouse Relief Channel at Stowbridge in March 1963 by the then Fisheries officer Norman Mckenzie and his bailiffs

jewelscape

Reaction score
Thanks Keith, am starting to get the full picture of how important this guy was in the grand scheme of things!

Appreciate your post!

Will be posting a letter to Prof. Rickards tomorrow, his article posted by Colin on an earlier post was heartwarming, he sounded like an incredible guy.

Lisa