Daiwa Black Gold 30 Spinning Reel??

Guy Morris

Reaction score
Hello there,
Has anyone used or seen one of these? Is it the reel Matt Hayes has used on some of his T.V shows??, as it is quite striking due to the colour (Black body/Gold spool)
I know alot of kit has been taken over from sea fishing equipment and used for coarse fishing, several reels etc.
Im just wondering about this, in the smaller sizes whether it would be any good for river/lake work. being a 30 in size is that as we coarse chaps would know a reel size, or do they differ in any way?
Many thanks
G.Morris

dezza

Reaction score
It is probably a reel made for the American or Australian market.

When I was in Australia I noticed that both Shimano and Diawa had reels on the market that were far better in spec than is available here.

And at a reasonable price!!!!

When I lived in SA I am sure I had Shimano Baitrunners up to a year ahead of their availablity in UK. On a trip to England ca 1980 I mentioned Baitrunners to Eric Hodson, and he didn't know what they were.

The truth of the matter is that the UK market is tiny compared with the USA and Oz.

---------- Post added at 05:46 ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 ----------

Have a look at this one:

Daiwa | SS Tournament?

---------- Post added at 05:46 ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 ----------

Have a look at this one:

Daiwa | SS Tournament�

Guy Morris

Reaction score
Yes thanks, i did look at this in the ss2600 model, thinking it was the same reel as the one i had found. They are quite near in spec, wooden handle on the bg 30, and deeper spool, but not much else. I think your right, its an import, so little or no information available in the u.k.
I have been looking at the new little baitrunners (2500/4000) and the new rear drag procaster from Daiwa, but seeing this, i just had the idea it was a plain, no nonsense little work horse, that would last a good while, like the old Shimano 3500b/ Sea Spins etc