Getting Carp Out Of Reeds or Snags?

A Wayne

Reaction score
I've only had one carp run into a reed bed and I got it out by keeping the tension on it after a pretty hairy experience. Could anyone tell me of a decent way to a) stop them running into snags and b) getting them out.

I think it was Keith Arthurs who said if you pull them towards the snag they'll try ot run away is this true?

P.S. I apologise for my inexperience

T

The Monk

its Probably best to try and fish away from snags if you are new to carp fishing. If however it is a snaggy type water, then you need to be close to your rods for a quick strike, steady pressure can work on some types of weed, in other cases giving a fish slack may also work. Its like most things in fishing I`m afraid, trial and error.

Carp do however know exactly where all the snags are, that I`m sure of!

T

tim battman

youre right about carp knowing where the snags are this year on a local lake there is a unusually large weed growth and as soon as hooked they head straight for the nearest bank of weed not only the carp but the roach ,chub,etc in the pool,i find steady pressure works 9/10 times and slack line for the remainder

T

The Monk

some of my mates at the local pit used to clip up tight against the snags clutch tight down, this method requires concentration though and you have to sit right over your rods, when you get a bleep you hit the fish and in theory it should kite sideways away from the snags. This method does however require a great deal of experience and to be honest, I`m not quite sure of the ethics of it.
many waters these days have a snag area separated and inaccessable to anglers, I think this gives them more of a sporting chance

S

stuart palfrey

One way not to go about it is to wade in bare foot.A good carp went in some reeds i did not want to lose it or leave it thethered,but cut my foot badly on an old sweet corn tin why do some morons chuck in all their rubbish,i lost the carp also.

M

michael rouse

Alex .i was recently watching "go fishing" and Wilson was fishin just next to lili pads .when he hooked the carp he ran back so the carp couldnt get back into the reeds

B

Budgie Burgess

Soft rod,heavy line,thick wired hook.Keep the drag done up stay alert and right on your rod (only use one for snag fishing)walking back is a great tactic.Easy as that!

C

Cakey

Best way is dont let the carp/fish go into snags in the first place,keep a tight line ,no bait runner,and be ready ! i.e. no getting into a sleeping bag and sleeping,youu have got to be on yours rods,the rest is how Budgie says.

C

Cakey

p.s. and only fish one rod,even if second rod is not being fished to snags.
playing a fish on the second rod and the snag one goes off puts you back in the sh*ts

RAMMER BERT

Reaction score
if you are new to carp fishing don't fish the snags no good loosing every fish, you will soon get pi**ed off with fishing, its not for the faint hearted, my mate has been fishing for 5 years and still cant get it right.

M

michael rouse

Alex .theres only one snag point in Gawsworth and thats of the island

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Main thing is to hoik the fish and hoik it hard.

This takes bravery and a bit of pre-planning. Remember that once a fish gets moving it possesses momentum and can become impossible to stop. The name of the game is not to let it get going in the first place.

Strike, hold hard and pull like hell is the best advice I can give.