Mosy amazing thing you've seen

C

Chris Bishop

Tucked away in a quiet corner of the Fens fishing away today and saw an osprey - it dived into the river right in front of me an a bream angler up the bank and took a perch.

Assume it's just passing through, never seen one before.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Me n Murray normally see em when we are at Blenhiem fishing from the punts.

J

Jack Pike

i went after a few baiters yesterday conditions where far from prefect due to the weed, bright sunshine,crystal clear water and that scummy stuff on the surface from when the farmer harvested the wheat field along side the drain. i caught a nice perch around 1.5lbs I popped it in my keepnet I didnt catch much more but execpt for a couple of small roach and another small perch . When I decided to call it a night i empty my keep net let the perch go but I could,nt find the roach there was noway they could of escaped its a brand new keepnet so I could only think that the perch has ate them good job I was,nt in a match

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
A few years ago sitting quietly in a reedy swim 2 Kingfishers landed on one of my rods about 10 feet from me. They only stayed 3 or 4 seconds but it was a magic moment.

C

Chris Bishop

Been reading up on it, one or two sitings a year in Norfolk, usually Mid-Sept while they're migrating from Scotland to the Senegalese mangrove swamps.

I thought it was a buzzard circling around, being mobbed by crows, then it hovered over the river and dived with its feet out in front of it.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
A few years ago I was talking to the bailiff at Barford lakes and he told me about an Osprey diving and taking a Carp of 4 or 5lbs.

G

Gareth Lewis

There is a captive breeding and release to the wild programme for Ospreys. Which is cordinated from the Rutland water nature reserve and centre. The Osprey that you saw Chris,is possibly one of the bird's released two or three seasons ago on migration down to Africa.
7 or 8 years ago I used to regularly see a Red Kite on my way to work, approx. half way betwen Melton Mowbray and Grantham. Turns out there was a programme for releasing Kites in the Corby area.
Friday Morning last week, I watched a Common Buzzard quartering the fields behind where I work, near Chipping Ongar. The lads who work in my department said they had never seen a Buzzard in that area before.