Des Taylor

W

Wendy Perry

Has anyone read AT today and about the comment Des Taylor wrote he says
"The average male angler isn't interested how the ladies get on and that if you asked most male anglers if they wanted to watch Ladies world Championships, or the darts World Championships -I'm afraid the arrows would win every time"

Is he right????? What do you think

Because i reckon he is just a male chauvinist little shit!

ian hewett

Reaction score
I dont think you should take Des so serious lets face it He's controversial every week now we can add sexist just glad were not all PC,nice to have variety.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Wend,
you know most people on here will answer otherwise, Des likes to keep the A.T. busy in letters department for a while.

C

Chris Bishop

Never forget one of Des's columns which ended up on the front page of the Times (ie The Times, not Angling Times...) in around '96/97, when he wrote his famous where can you water the horses when the women are about line.

W

Wendy Perry

Well i tell ya i'd love to meet him Chris because i'd give him a mouthful.

But he shouldn't write things like that it's not fair. As a lady angler i don't think for one minute i could beat a man at fishing, i just love fishing what is so wrong in that? and if some lady's are good at it then they shouldn't be pulled apart for it.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Wend,
Im not too proud to admit you've caught bigger fish than me, the fish don't care/know if the anglers male or female, if they did they wouldn't eat any bait. If you enjoy the sport then great, if you catch it's a bonus, the sex is irrelevant......well you know what I mean :eek:)

W

Wendy Perry

Rodney go pull the fuse out matey you got that sex thing on the brain heheheh.

And rodney size doesn't matter (well not in fishing anyway) your very right the fish hasn't a clue if it's caught by man or woman.

So Des Taylor bring it on!!!!!!

A

Andy Nellist

Take what Des says in his column with a bucket of salt he is simply fishing for a reaction.

As an example while Des was slagging off the syndication of Kickles he and one other bloke approached the owner and took over a water that one of my mates and I had been fishing for ?3 a day for three years. This is the water where he now catches all of his big Roach and Chub and my mate and I can no longer fish it.

D

Dave Slater

Wendy,
Big Des is ok. I think he just likes to wind people up in print. I don't read the comics these days so I don't know what he writes. I am an angler and a dart player. Unfortunately I would have to go along with the big fella and watch the darts. Nothing to do with ladies in particular, I just find watching angling on television very boring. I think fishing is a participation sport rather than a spectator sport. As for match fishing I can't see the point of it. It leaves me cold. To me it takes away the hunting instinct as, for me anyway, the excitement is in finding big fish before catching them. Still each to their own. Just enjoy your fishing Wendy, and don't bother if somebody else has different views to yourself. You may even find that you like Big Des if ever you meet him.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Believe me , Des is OK ....these comments he makes are just to create copy for the paper/mag he is writing for ..
something controversial has everyone up in arms and gets a response which is good for the paper/mag

G

Gary Knowles

Wendy,

Like andy said he's fishing for a reaction. But, although he is taking it to the extreme he does have a point.

Take for example this weeks Golf, European ladies v the States Ladies. Did the average male golf fan give it half as much attention as they would the ryder cup. Do as many people watch the Williams sisters on the last day of wimbledon as watch the mens singles. Which has the huge crowds Premiership football or the ladies league.

"The average male angler isn't interested how the ladies get on" - I'm afraid to an extent he's right.

I've not seen the article in question but if he's critisising women for fishing he's very, very wrong. If he's pulling women aprt for fishing then he's also wrong. If he's simply saying the ladies championship will not generate the same interest as the mens then I'm afraid he's right.

am I in trouble now ????????

G

Gary Knowles

ps - Well done and good luck in the final Wendy. Seriously !

C

Chris Bishop

Rontroversial could give him a run for his money any day... He'd make Des look like a Guardian reader...

L

Les Clark

Wendy, the man is a ****head,not worth getting wound up over,he write`s for a comic,what can you exspect?

G

goff dyer

Like any paper be it fishing or your morning daily, being controversial sells them. I read Des most weeks also many other angling journalists, and i think he is in a minority.
(I think he loves a wind up dont bite WendY)

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I agree with Les.

I tried to elucidate on that but found myself getting carried away a bit, and as I don't want to be on the other end of a libel action thoght it best left there.

But he is Gutter Press.

I

Ian Whittaker

Wendy , you don't get Matt Hayes raising controversy do you ? Des Taylor uses his own brand of "charm" to produce his column!

S

stuart palfrey

I give my respect to women who fish,more should do so.But you have to love big Des also.Am i sitting on the fence?......