Canoeist's

S

stuart palfrey

Fishing the wye today,a load of canoeist's of both gender came loudly through my swim,they made no attempt to avoid my lines and even some found it funny to roll out of their craft into the water to swim about.Where they on drugs drink or both or are boating types generally like this,most i find are somewhat boorish and uncouth.Or are they just stupid.But some anglers are not far behind i picked up two carrier bags of litter left by anglers,meat and corn tins beer cans etc..,if i can pick it up why can;t the morons which left it do likewise.

A

alan outen

i had a boat come in close to where i was fishing and snaag myline. and then ,moaned at me for fishing to far out

D

Dave Rothery

surfers think that canoeists that canoe in the sea are the scum of the earth. to put it mildly!

G

goff dyer

Nice pic DAVE
Stu i have not fished the wye this year due to operation and low conditions, but the worst thing is the canoes.
I dont think it is my imagination but it is getting worse, especially the inexperienced morons who crash bang wallop right through your swim.AARGGHH

C

Chris Bishop

Get a worse menace on one bit of river I fish - Uni boat team practising.

Roll on winter.

D

Dave Rothery

ta goff, we've just had one of the biggest/best quality swells for ages courtesy of hurricane fabien. the wave i'm on is roughly the height of the photo. who needs hawaii!!

W

Wendy Perry

I fished a place called Whitmore Fishery and it was a huge place and the day we were having a match they decided to teach kids how to wind surf. The teacher was in a speed boat, there was signs everywhere telling him what mph to go and he was well over his speed limit ,every time he passed near us we had bloody big waves go all over our tackle . So annoying!

G

goff dyer

Brings back memories used to trawl that bay many years ago, nice plaice and dovers ,but to many doggies and spiders.
That bar is a nightmare with a good swell running.
sorry to highjack your thread stu.

S

stuart palfrey

No prob Goff,i think respect is what it is about,nobody respects what the other person is doing hence canoes treating it as the river is their sole domain.

D

Dave Slater

I generally avoid places where boating is allowed if at all possible. What really pisses me off is when they blatantly ignore rules and take there canoes on non-navigable stretches of river without permission.

G

goff dyer

One of the problems on the wye is the hire canoes the ones which are made of alloy,
the noise they make especially when the river is low.

K

Kevin Cox

Spare a thought for us lot in Cambridgeshire, the river Camb is riddled with rowers practicing for the boat race & the bumps.
The Gt Ouse can get a bit hectic too, although i find the coaches shouting there gobs off with loudhalers on those little motorised catermorangs are the worst.

D

Dave Rothery

do you think the fish are used to it though? it must seem natural to them on some rivers.

G

Gary Knowles

I was fshing the Ribble a couple of weeks ago when a canoeist came around the corner. On seeing me he shouted "which side to you want me to come through mate, near, far or middle". He passed quietly by without hardly dipping an oar and we passed a few pleasantries, then he was on his way.

It's all down to the individual concerned, some are decent guys some are numpties but we could also say that about fishermen couldn't we? It would be hard to argue we didn't have our own low lifes....

C

Chris Bishop

I'm sure it's just like planes flying overhead to the fih on deper waters, the problems start when they come hurtling around the corner and catch your line (s).

Wasn't there concern a few years back about canoes scaring spawning barbel on some of the shallow Yorks rivers, sure I read that somewhere.

J

John Hepworth

Correct Chris. If it was the salmon spawning grounds that they disturbed they(the canoeists)would be up in court in no time. Unfortunately matters are only going to get worse. The E/A together with some canoe body are trialling open access on abot six rivers country wide, and unfortunately again, one is my local river Wear. I would suggest that all anglers lobby the E/A through their club, Ass'n or local fisheries furum/consultative to stop this otherwise many coarse spawnig areas will be effected.

D

Dave Feeney

fishing the river seven on my own when a load of screaming, laughing girls canoed into my swim,there was not a lot I could do about them, so I stopped fishing, then the abuse started after one of them told the others off for getting out of their canoes and splashing around in my swim, yells of "so wot, fishin's cruel" etc etc,
as I said not a lot I could do,as I didn't want to tangle my line on them or their boats, so I elected to just carry on feeding my swim and wait till they moved on.
Know I don't now what it is about young ladies, their hair and airborne maggots, but they paddeled out off my swim so fast I could have water ski'd behind them, very strange indead???
funny thing was, next trot down a 4.0lb chub, so there I was standing in the middle of the severn shouting "come back ladies, come back "