New to sea fishing

Carl Ward

Reaction score
I want to fish for mackerel,& bass from weymouth.I only have freshwater gear. Would there be any problems with using my pike gear,i.e. 2.5lb t.c.rod,shimano sahara 4000 reel, 10lb line etc? Where could I find out about rigs etc. Thanks in anticipation.

Brian Goddard

Reaction score
I think you are a little bit late for mackerel they tend to move out to deeper water about now.For bass I would up your line to 15lb and if the rod is flexible enough try spinning or plugging, however in the main coarse reels are a bit on the small side to handle sea fish as they usually have the current and their strength to combat your efforts.If you are in weymouth then go to one of the tackle shops and for a modest sum you can purchase a rod and reel combo and get plenty of advice on where to fish.
Happy fishing
Bry

M

michael rouse

bRIAN.MACKREL CAN BE CAUGHT ALL YEAR round.i know because i have done.i was going to set a forum on bass but to lazy.im using a storm chug bug for the bass but no luck so far.they seem a bit hard to work with a R*n Th****on beach caster.

Carl Ward

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.Will be in weymouth this sunday to pick up new rod.Will ask in WAC.Have a Yo-Zuri crystal minnow to try on the bass.

M

michael rouse

i found that i could cast a 1 ounce led further with my carp rod than a 4 ounce 3 on the beaach caster.it was 2.5 lbs

J

jason fisher

micheal what type of cast are you using.
it sounds like either you are not loading the beach caster enough, or your cast is collapsing.
i can get over 90 yards with a big over head thump using the beach caster with 5 oz but to get big distances i have to use a pendulum cast.

D

Dave Rothery

you aint doing it right then.....

most sea rods work with 6oz to 8oz leads, you'll never get the compression with a 4oz.

J

jason fisher

i think the rod he's using has a bottom rating of 4oz,
the problem when you get up to 8 is most people don't have the strength/skill to control the thing while casting and they end up losing distance.
it's real experienced stuff then.

A

alan outen

most sea rods ive looked at cast 4-9oz, my wifes casts 2-4oz