Problems with knotless knot

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Lost a good carp on Saturday when a ready tied E.S.P G4 raptor went right at the eye. This has happend twice before a couple of months ago when tying my own knots, again using G4 raptors.
This affected my confidence, hence the ready tied's.
Is it a problem with these hooks ?

D

Dave Rothery

make sure that when you whip the hooklength along the shank, you dont turn it so that the line gets caught in the gap where the eye is formed. does that make sense?

RAMMER BERT

Reaction score
i have been using esp raptors for years and have had no prob's,when you tie your hooks on with the knotless knot do you super glue the knot?,you should also do at least 6 turns on the hook away from the opening of the eye.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
I do whip away from the join of the eye, and at least 6 or 7 times, also a couple of times over that.
It just seems a bit of a coincidence that a ready tied rig seemed to cut in the exact same place.
It has made me rather paranoid.

D

Dave Rothery

might be down to the way that the hook is going in - if the point doesnt penetrate properly, you'll get a lot of stress on the eye. how well have landed fish been hookes, ie far back in the mouth, on the lip, etc?

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Losing three definite doubles is not fun in my book, that is why my confidence is a bit ropey.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Dave, landed fish seem to be hooked ok, always around the lip area.
My mate thinks I should use stronger braid, but I think 12lb is more than enough as the fish only go up to low 20's.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
The braid seems to cut off right at the eye of the hook, its always a clean parting.

D

Dave Silvers

I have been using some ready tied ESP rigs,
that I got as freebies, after missing a few runs I examined the rig and found that the hooklink length from the knotless knot actually passed the wrong way through the eye, ie from the inside to the outside, and therefore actually pulled the point of the hook away from the mouth of the fish.
It may have been an isolated incident, all the others I've checked have been OK, but it just pays to double check and not to take quality for granted.

D

Dave Silvers

PS - on a previous thread about tying
knotless knots it was suggested that one side of the eye may have a sharp edge due to the way it is stamped out, if your braid is cutting on the eye it may be worth checking this.
Do a search for knotless knot in the forums.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Dave,
I always have a good look at the rigs I use and the ESP one looked ok. I beleive the braid is cutting at the eye but can't see how, as the eyes look alright.
Thanks for the help.

C

Cakey

Before tying rigs I always put the eye of the hook in my mouth first and see if there are any sharp bits likely to cut braid.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Cakey,
Are you suggesting I give the eye a good tonguing ???
I see what you mean though, and will try it.
Cheers.

M

michael rouse

buy esp ready tied rigs.never snap.super glue your knot for extra strength.

C

Cakey

I use a different knotless knot to everyone else.
The normal one that everyone else uses is a bit big and bulky (to me)and seems to need super gluing or rig gluing.

I'll work out a way of showing you how to tie mine and you can give it ago if you like.

C

Cakey

Ok
not sure how to do it yet

might take piccys and send them to graham or do a video clip on my digi

ill try both.