Boggarts Clough

A

andrew jackson

Hey Monk Great article mate, brought back some good memories. Nice to see that some of the names are still doing the business around the waters of the N/W and beyond.
The Clough was the water where I caught my first double, and a fairly long standing pb of 15Lb. It was also the first place I ever had a car broken into (a red Hilman Avenger Estate) LOL. I was never one of the regular long stay anglers, more of an occasional visitor. But the lads were always friendly and quick to include me in the banter.
The loss of the fish was very sad, but to be honest I think some of the anglers would still be fishing the place today if they hadnt been forced too look at other waters. ;o)

T

The Monk

cheers mate, its surprising how the years pass, I first fished the Clough about 73, I think I was the only carp angler on it in those days, I didnt revisit the place until the late eighties, thats when I discovered an whole community of modern carp anglers had taken over.

some of the finest lads you could ever hope to meet.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Very entertaining mate. What about the time you spent after "Old Chestnut" where you had to bivvy up alone with a machete in your habit.

You showed me that little lake on one of my trips to Manchester remember.

So different from the Avon at Bisterne.

A

andrew jackson

I remeber you on the Clough in the late 80's Monk but you were one of the names, I was just a keenie who came and went. Didnt you have some sort of involvment with the development of that net, sack, weigh sling thingy that velcroed onto your landing net? Was it called a Easy fish, something?

LOL I cant belive I used to night fish on my own bivvied up on the bomb hole, I must have been mad. Come to think of it I cant belive I was on my own, it must have been signing on day. ;o)

T

The Monk

Me a name hahahaha!!!!!!

it was the Landeasy Net, a mate of mine, financed it through a Manchester gangster, I can`t give any names or I might get me legs broken!

It was seriously a very good idea, but bought out for reasons I cant go into here!

I didnt really fisdh the Clough for the fishing!

It was more for the women and the beer!

E

Eric Hayes

good read Monk, lets have some more mate.
Ho, and welcome back :)

D

Dave Rothery

didnt hutchie bring out something similar monk? seemed like a good idea. mind you, didnt the chap(who's name escapes me) that had one of the big billing aquadrome catches do something similar, a bike wheel sans spokes with a hessian sack lashed to it?

T

The Monk

Hi Eric, how you doing mate, a few more on their way?!

Not sure Dave, was it Ray Clay or Bob Renolds at Billing?

D

Dave Rothery

bob reynolds, thats the chappie. there was a bit about it in "carp fever"?

T

The Monk

Its a long time since I`ve read the earliers books Dave, I think Bob`s mention in Jack Hiltons Book, Quest for Carp (1970), or maybe Jim Gibbinsons first book, The Carp (1969)?

D

Dave Rothery

i'd have a look, but all the books are packed away at the mo.