Blast from the Past

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Do you want more in this series, preferably from a variety of authors?

Or is it only of interest to us old 'uns?

Let me know please.

T

The Monk

Yes, brilliant Graham, bloody hell I remember that getting published, still got it in the wardrobe mate!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I for one would love to see more of the same Graham.

Not sure if I qualify for one of the "old 'uns" - oh all right, yes I suppose I really do.

A great read.

F

Fred Bonney

Me too Graham,still very relevant to today,things don't change...much!
I still pick up your Advanced Coarse Fishing for hints,(published 23 years this year)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
On a recent visit to J&J Head's book shop in Salisbury I managed to pick up a copy of Graham's book and was not really surprised to see many tips that are still current today.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

It's now time to do that chapter of yours on roach fishing from your book Graham.

R

Richard Drayson

Yes please Graham. I remember reading some marvellous articles from the old mags.
Particular favourite writers were David Carl-Forbes, Dave Steuart and Peter Wheat.
Have you anything by **** Walker? That really would be good.
I agree with Ron, now is the time for a roach article.

A

Andy Nellist

Don't know if I count as a young these days as I'll be 40 next year but featuring the the old articles is an excellent idea and I'd love to see loads more.

T

The Monk

You definately count as young Andy,
I`m only 52 on saturday, miles younger that Graham and Ron

W

William Spencer

not as old as some of you guys but absolutely loved advanced coarse fishing by graham.whatever happened to coarse fishing today?

W

Wolfman Woody

Graham, You write as many nostalgic articles as you like, if only to prove to yourself that you're not suffering from senility. They get us all thinking and remembering and that's never bad. Just so long as we remember our own names.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thanks lads ('lads' - they like that, the old 'uns). As Ron suggested, I'll reproduce the roach chapter from my book, 'Advanced Coarse Fishing', in the next week or two.

But come on Ron, you must have a right thick archive of old articles to draw from. Let's have one or two off you.

As far as reproducing stuff off **** Walker, and other authors who are no longer with us, is concerned, I'm not sure how we are affected by copyright laws. 'Angling' magazine, from where my article was taken, went under many years ago, as did Coarse Angling Today and several others, so the copyright issue is even more confusing.

Just now I'm only prepared to use my own previously published writings, and that of authors who submit their previously published stuff personally, until I know more about the copyright issue.

Is there a lawyer out there who could shed some light on the situation?

D

Dave Rothery

nice article graham, it just shows us young'uns that theres nothing new in fishing! why wouldn't you feed mashed bread.... ;)

L

Les Clark

More please Graham,I find there`s allway`s something to learn or something that you have forgotten,plus it`s interesting anyway.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Dave, I suppose I could think of one or two modern day carp fishing situations where mashed bread could be a first choice bait, but generally modern baits like pellets, boilies and particles are so much better.

D

Dave Rothery

difference is that when boilies, pellets etc dont work, you've got the experience to fall back on to try something like bread rahter than writing it off as a "crap" bait.
i've been using mashed bread "method" style with maize or pellet as hookbait and it dont half look good on the bottom.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Dave, one 'trick' with mashed bread we use is to make it just about solid enough to spod or throw and then poke in several chunks of crust. These groundbait balls sink to the bottom, gradually dissolve, and the crusts then float to the surface. A good way of baiting up top and bottom at the same time.

We then anchor the crust hookbaits to the surface with a bomb on the bottom, fished well overdepth (they call anchored crust the zig-rig these days) and every so often wind the crust down to the bottom to fish amongst the mashed bread. It's easier these days as you can use false bread that doesn't come off the hook so easily.

And another trick we try is to cast a small piece of bread on a small hook over the swim, using a balanced lead at distance, (we used to make our own and called them Balsa Bombs) or a float at short range, so that the bait sinks very slowly.

It's amazing how many takes you get 'on the drop'.

Course, you need a fairly calm day for it all to work at its best.