Sorting out the biggies.

S

Steve Baker

Hi, I need some help fishing my local goldfish bowl or commercial carp fishery. I know the water well and i have seen some big fish in the place stocked and captured but for some reason all i can catch is carp up to about 8lbs, the biggest i have had is a leather of 16.5lb and that came out 2 meter from the bank in about 12 inches of water and on float tackle with 4lb line and 14 hook with a single grain of corn. Are big baits the answer? Or is it luck? Any advice will be welcolmed.

C

Carp Angler

Fishing for them by sight would be the ideal, try and get them up on the surface if you can and select the bigger fish.
Other than that it's just a case of wading thru the smaller fish :(

S

Steve Baker

On the surface is ideal but there is alot of water fowl on the place. For instance last year there was seven swans swiming (sounds like a song to me!) around 20 coots and i once counted 54 mallards on the lake. So as you can see surface fishing can be tricky. Waht do you think about the big bait idea? any suggestions?

C

Carp Angler

Big baits have occasionally worked for me, but only because they were different, and this was on waters that only contained big carp.
By big I mean 3x24mm boilies on the hair.
A 2lb carp will eat alump of meat or a 20mm boilie, so how selective can you be?

S

Steve Baker

WOW, thats a big bait. So i will wade through the little ones untill i get a shock when i pull n to one one day then, cheers for the advice.

Do you think that the method attracts more small fish than the descent ones?

C

Carp Angler

No, the method attracts all carp.
Have you read my article on method fishing for big carp?

S

Steve Baker

No sorry, is it on this site? If so can i have the date so i can search it out. Its just that i have been twice this week to baden hall using the method and just got little fish (6lb) on the method, not complaining though as they were superbly conditioned, and were a handfull on the bank as they were full of energy. Worst thing is the biggest carp in there 30lb came out to a bloody pole fisherman (just jelous).

S

Steve Baker

I now know that my method mix is way too soft. As for some reason i thought it was better like that. DOH, roll on the summer. Thanks

C

Carp Angler

Why wait until the summer?
The water is warm enough now for fish to be looking for food but there are not enough naturals to fulfill them.
The next month is prime time for a seriuos bag up.

S

Steve Baker

True i always seem to do better this time of year, especially in may, must be my lucky month. But i have got to wait untill pay day to buy my new liecence though. Whats your favorite time of year to fish?

C

Carp Angler

I love it all.
Different times for different species.
It's all great.

S

Steve Baker

When i was a kid i was out in all weathers too. Then the last few years i have become a fine weather fisherman (sad i know) the main reason is that i suffer really badly from cold feet, and i have trouble getting warm boots (size 13) that combined with the expense. But i'll go out and spend 20 quid on bait and another 4 on food for me and 6 on a ticket just for one session and catch 4 or 5 6lb carp. I love fishing.

C

Carp Angler

Small feet then.
I'm a size 15 and had loads of trouble until I discovered a company called Lovesons, they sell a hiking boot called a Bigfoot and it is amazingly warm and comfy.
Local hiking shop should be able to sort you out.
If not then let me know, because the one in Southampton where I got mine should do them.

S

Steve Baker

Size 15! are you a big bloke then? As i went to the nec on sat and saw Matt Hayes and John wilson and was very surprised to see how small they were (apart from Johns beer gut, he looks a bit like father chrismas now) But Matt was tiny, so i thought thats how they catch all their fish, as they can creep up on them and hide behind the nearest blade of grass, but me no matter how carefull i am i sound like a elephant charging through the jungle, but this may be to do with the ammount of tackle i carry. I liked your article about traveling light as your are more lickely to move. I was always taught by my dad and brother to sit still and be quite, your not moving. Which now i have a habit of doing.

C

Carp Angler

I think its a trait of the (in)famous anglers.
They're all tiny.
Marsden 4'3"
Hayes 5'1"
even "BIG" Des Taylor is only about 5'10" and 14 or 15 stone.
Christ, I've been out with women bigger than that.
Brummie Williams actually looked average sized at the NEC.

S

Steve Baker

Was that the 14 or 15 stone women or the 5'1" ones (lol) hopefully the latter. What did you think of the NEC this year as i was a bit disapointed when i compared it to last year. The retail village wasn't big enough and most of the tackle i could have bought and seen at stapely water gardens or my local.

I want to work on a burger bar there 1.20 for a bottle of coke and a quid for a plate of chips, i am in the wrong job. Plus they get in for free.

C

Carp Angler

I only went coz I got in for free.
I'm glad I did, I would have been remonstrating severley if I'd have paid ?8.50 for that.
Not bad socially, but tackle wise it was rather poor.

S

Steve Baker

yep 8.50 for the ticket, 8.70 for the train back to stafford (single as we got a lift down), stopping at new street as first train was cancelled so it took quite a while to get home aswell. I actually went with the hope of stocking up on hooks bombs and the like but the prices were no different.

One question abouth the method. Do you leave it where it casts, as in just tighten up so the fish can home in on the splash? or do you move it sometimes to create a trail? Also do you ever flost fish for carp anymore?