Line strength advice please

Richard Plume

Reaction score
I will be fishing a local commercial carp fishery tomorrow. will start of on a float set up, what breaking strain line would people recommend using as I have never fished such a venue before.
Average size of fish is ment to be between 4-12lb.

G

Glen Howell

The objective is to have a balanced set-up, so your line should be matched to the rod you are using. If you have a 1.25lb t/c rod then something around the 6-8lb range should be fine. The other consideration is the area you are fishing, if there are snags then you will need stronger line to keep fish away from the snags.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Have float fished for carp in a local fishery for 8 - 14lb carp with 6lb mainline and 3.2 or 4.4lb hooklength without a lost fish.
As long as played correctly (I always set clutch on real just below breaking strength) and not many snags should be fine.
Just a note, hooklength was Middy Lo-viz which as I've said before does actually break at weights stated on label, alot don't and have had 3lb line on which actually broke at 1.5lbs. This resulted in lost fish and one pi??ed off Tim.

S

Stu Black

Richard, what sort of fishing do you usually do? Most set up's will deal with carp in that bracket.