Valuable Angling Books

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

During my stay In Wiltshire, I visited John & Judth Head@s book shop in Salisbury. There they have one of the best ranges of classic angling books in the country.

I was surprised at how much some of the quite recent books are fetching. For example, Tony Miles and Trefor West - "Quest for Barbel" at ?70.00,
Chris Yates - "Casting at the Sun" first edition - "?200.

Have you got any valuable books? My own prode of place is "Where the Bright Waters Meet" by Harry Plunkett Green - 1st edition signed by the author. The last time it was valued was ?850 in 1976.

I wonder what it is worth now?

By the way pride of place in this shop was "Atlantic Salmon Fishing by Chas. Phair, de luxe edition of 40 copies:

Wait for it:

?9,850.00!!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

The Carp Strikes Back 1st edition, dunno how much, fab book.

Signed copy of me fishing partner Phil Smith's Rainbows End, great bog roll!

C

Chris Bishop

River Piking by John Sidley - worth between ?80 and ?100, several other old pike books.

R

Richard Drayson

"The Deepening Pool" Chris Yates.
"Successful Roach Fishing" David Carl Forbes.
"Big Chub and Roach" John Etherington.

Also signed copies of "A Passion For Angling" and "Fifty Years a Fisherman" John Wilson.

Whatever they're worth is of little consequence as they're not for sale. Might be worth something after I've popped my clogs I suppose.

F

Fred Bonney

Good investment for me then, I paid ?20+ post last December for, Quest for Barbel.????
Anybody know anything about The Quest for Barbel by William J Howes?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I remember the book Fred.

Bill Howes was one of the great Thames barbel anglers.

Angling books are a marvellous subject. Of all the field sports, we have a tremendous literal history.

We must treasure it.

D

Dave Rothery

waiting for waddle - phil thompson
fox pool - rob maylin
1st of casting for the sun - chris yates
1st carp fever (first carp book i ever had)
and a few others.....

E

EC

I got 'Quest for Barbel' by Miles and West this year from a book club for about ?12-?15, they were still advertising it for this much thereabouts during the last magazine in August, so I dunno how anyone can be justified in charging ?70 unless its a limited or special edition of somekind.

I have also got 'Fred Fosters Swing tipping' somewhere!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

First editions make the book valuable Eddie. Especially if they are signed by the author.

You can get "Quest for Barbel" direct from Tref himself - about the third edition.

Firstr editions can command high prices.

T

The Monk

you`ve seen my angling collection Ron

some of my most valuable books are in my Collins New Naturalist selection, a number of them range in the ?250.00 to ?350.00 bracket, two first editions are now going for ?1200.00

D

Dave Rothery

i found a load of parchment with "the compleat angle" or something like that on it. isaac walter or something like that. ?10 anyone?

J

John McLaren

Although we are talking possibly valuable collectables here, this thread could turn into a repeat of one we did some time ago on favourite angling books.

My oldest book, apart from a 1959 edition of "The Observer's Book of Freshwater Fishes", and the book I treasure most in my collection is "No need to Lie" By **** Walker - It appears to be first edition as there is only one date shown(1964) but the beautiful dust jacket is missing having been attacked by one of my offspring some years ago. I also have a first edition of "Big Pike" by Geoffrey Bucknall (again sans dust cover!)

Interestingly both those books were published for Angling Times. We sometimes have a go at the press but the available angling literature might be a lot thinner without the efforts of AT in the past.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I think the repeating of certain threads is actually a good idea. All the time there are new members coming onto line on FM.

Some subjects never die and I hope that the literature of angling never does either. Not only that, the repetition of certain subjects help to emphasise important aspects of our sport.

J

John Pleasance

Understanding Barbel Fred Crouch
Casting at the Sun--Chris Yates..Signed
Quest for Barbel--Miles and West
Invisible Waters-- John Bailey
Roach---John Bailey.
Gravel Pit Angling --Peter Stone
Fishing for Big Chub-- Peter Stone
Barbel..Fishing step by step..Pete Frost(P/B)
Pike..Fishing step by step Barrie Rickards(P/B)

Lots of others but all the above are first editions,not for sale though.

T

The Monk

excellent books John, I have most of these myself, you should definately never sell them, they are truely works of art and irriplacable!

If you don`t already John, keep them in a glass fronted bookshelve and away from sun light.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Indeed the Angling Times did through EMAP produce some marvellous books in the past. My favourites were The Angling Times Year Books, a selection of the best articles published in AT during that year.

These articles demonstrated truly vibrant writing, especially from the likes of Walker, Taylor and Stone. I love to go back to them from time to time.

It is often stated today that young anglers are not at all interested in reading old books and articles. They take too much "understanding", as English is not taught in the same way it was when I went to school.

What is required now are lots of pictures, much like a comic strip really. In fact there have been a number of "Photo" comic strips on angling quite recently. I hope they never appear again.

I've got nothing against comic strips provided they are done properly and by a good artist. "Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing", is an example of the best kind of comic strip.

However I baulk at the horrendous photo strips that have appeared in past angling publications.

They remind me of those dreary odious photo strips in the dumbed down press, which show a procession of slappers in various states of undress laying on a bed.

How people can be entertained by such hidiousness is beyond my comprehension.

D

Dave Rothery

you've always got to ruin a perfectly good thread ron.........

S

stuart palfrey

Pike A.L.Ward 1954.Chris i used to correspond with John sidley he put me right on eel fishing in the early 80's.A great in the fishing world much missed,enjoyed your article on him in pike and predators.Would love to have his river piking book i think it is worth more like ?150.00.so look after it,good fishing for coming winter,Stu....

J

John Hepworth

Barbel Mania by Andy Orme. I have heard they a fetching a good price-obtained my copy from a secondhand book stall in Northallerton for ?5-00. Also Big Chub, Peter stone, John Etheringtons Big Chub and roach, and of course The CSG book, Chub.