lakes in hertfordshire

K

Ken Stevens

can anyone tell me of any good lakes in hertfordshire for general fishing and with the chance of a good carp or 2 many thanks ken

A

Andy Nellist

Herts is a big county with a lot of waters can you be more specific about your location

A

Andy Nellist

In St Albans itself you've got Verulanium Angling Club's (VAC)Riverside Road and at Smallford they've got the water woz mentioned.

http://www.verulam-angling.demon.co.uk/

Bowmans farm is a commercial fishery and like smallford is also on the Hatfield side of St.Albans.

http://www.1fish.co.uk/Fishery List/hertfordshire.htm

There used to be two Frogmores when I was a lad but the LAA one at Park Street is now called Moormill. I grew up on these lakes and whilst the carp are not easy there is some nice mixed course fishing on four lakes and it doesn't get a lot of pressure. The LAA run it on a day and season basis.

http://www.londonanglers.net/

The other Frogmore is two miles further down the road towards Radlett and is another VAC water.

If you want to go further afield there are loads of waters within 30 miles of St. Albans including Tring Reservoirs and the Colne and Lee valley pits.

K

Ken Stevens

thanks very much for your help someone told me hollywell hyde in W.G.C is good but could not tell me much about the lake

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Its ok, could do wiv a bloody good clear up, i even told the baliff that there's loads of rubbish left by anglers and he should sort it out. Loads of carp, place is rammed with them, lots of doubles. Day tickets on the bank, you can also night fish it.

A

Andy Nellist

Holwell Hyde Lake Cole Green, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire Tel: 01306 883621

C

Cakey

Holwell Court is better,its even got cats to 35lb and is now day ticket with no under 16's which can be nice.
the lake can be found HERE and is where the red diamond is above the words holwell court.

K

Ken Stevens

thanks for all your help im going to dust the carp rods off and give holwell hyde a go on wednesday

M

Mike Heylin

Ken

Check out Boxmoor and District AS on www.bdas.org. We have Westbrook Mere, 2.75 acres and over 30 fish at 20 plus, biggest reported last year was 29.04, and lots of upper doubles. Memberships available as I write.

Mike Heylin

K

Ken Stevens

Mike

thanks for the the tip ive checked out the web site it looks just right for me

sam higgins

Reaction score
I fish holwell hyde a lot but wanted to start to spod there is it good to spod there and what baits should i spod.

C

Cakey

spodding not allowed ...........look at the rules ,no loose feed

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Bowmans is now called The Willows. Has been cleaned up and lots of new rules.

Much better fishing now, carp to 40lb plus with lots of doubles. Cats to38lb,Some Bream to double figures along with Tench, tickets from the machine. Gates locked at 10pm and open again at 7am, maybe different this time of year.

The large lake is the best to fish if you want runs, the small lake by the entrance to the right as you go in, has the bigger fish but is harder. The farm lake at the far end is patchy, but can be very good on its day.

The pits at Frogmore are now run by Verulanium AC.

Dont forget you also have Stanborough lake which can throw up some very good fish, tickets on the bank.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think you're not a million miles from Tring pits/lakes-some of the best waters around if you have the time.Held the Tench record I think for a time and some of the best roach fishing around.

I have not fished them for years but <u>perhaps someone else can update you on potential now</u>.

Also some lakes or lake at London Colney just outside St Albans that I fishes 30 years ago and they held biggish carp then.

<u>Again,someone else might offer up-to-date info</u>

Best of luck anyway and let us know how you fair!!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Brookfield lake, is members only on the road bank, day ticket on the park bank.

Palmers Green also have some of the lake,members only, opposite end of the lake to the inland.

C

Cakey

another 5 year old thread dug up

I think they might of found somewhere by now /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

and brooky is shit since they dropped the levels .........................