Good anglers know they will catch fish

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
In my last Fish and Game magazine there was an article with the headline "Good anglers know they will catch.....average anglers hope they will!!!!"

Do you think this is true?

S

Stuart Bullard

Kiwi - I would change the "know" to "believe". But on the whole I think its probably correct......I am striving to be average so that I live in hope !

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Old **** Walker used to say that in angling you do reach a stage when rather than being "hopeful" you become "confident" of catching.

There is a great deal of truth in this. I often feel totally confident that I will catch. The truth is that as you get older you often lack the physical fitness necessary to make this happen.

Oh to be 22 and to know what I know now.

S

Stuart Bullard

.......exactly Ron. There is a thread there, if you were 22 with knowledge you had now, what would you do different ?

Mine would have been to have concentrated on one sport, either golf, cricket or football and tried to make a go of it.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
When you 'mature' in years it isn't that you're confident of catching, its the experience of many years fishing in all conditions that tells you when you're going to catch and when its dodgy or even hopeless. Sometimes there comes along a young angler who is a natural but in general I reckon nowt beats experience combined with knowledge

R

Ron Troversial Clay

That's right Graham.

Mind you I have known a few "naturals" in my life, but I found out that even at the tender age of 16, they knew a thing or two due to the fact that they lived by the river since a baby and spent every spare second they had on its banks, either fishing or watching the fish.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
That sort of knowledge can't be bought can it Ron. I knew a guy in Ireland(Portumna) who, at any time of the year and in any conditions, knew exactly where the fish were on the Shannon and what baits to use. He was free with his information too

G

Gary Knowles

I think that the more experienced you become the more adaptable you become and hence the more sucessful.

In other words you judge the current conditions and target the species most likely to be caught. That way I would say it was true that 'good anglers' know they will catch because all the odds are stacked in their favour.

On the other hand i beleive that good anglers often visit a water for whatever reason at the wrong time, they know it's the wrong time or conditions and instinctilvey know it is highly unlikley that they will catch....if this makes sense !!!

A

Andy Nellist

yes, good anglers tend to be in touch with their senses and are able to take advantage of this. Usually it's refered to as intuition.

S

stuart palfrey

If conditions are right,water levels, temp.,without being a bighead i know i will catch pike.I only have to look back in my records to confirm this.

A

andy maskery

I consider myself to be an average all round angler and at most times can read a water and decide wether to fish or not, with quite successful results, but there have been times, particularly pike fishing, when the rods have stayed in the car because fish couldn't possibly caught due to the conditions but of course there's always an exeption or two. Nine times out of ten knowledge and experience are second to none but your quarry is a wild creature that doesn't know about this arrangement.