Bait Confusion

I

Iain Wishart

I have just recieved this years Hinders mail order catalogue and WOW....what a selection of bait.
I just can't decide what baits to use this year, like which type of pellets, particles or boilies. I fish short sessions and look for convenience and all year appeal. Any suggestions?

C

Carp Angler

What kind of water or waters are you fishing?
e.g. size, stock density, size of fish, distance to features etc etc

I

Iain Wishart

The lake that i have in mind to fish is small,shallow, weedy and clear (two acres?). The fish number less than 20 and the biggest is about 20 lb. I aim to stalk fish or grab a few hours mid week. The water also contains bootlace eels, tench and bream. Angler pressure tends to be at weekends.

C

Carp Angler

I would probably go in with mini pellets and broken tigers.
3mm hi-betaine, a small handful in each swim and a few broken tigers.
Then fish either tiger or worm over the top on the float.

I

Iain Wishart

thanks Carp Angler, lets hope i can actually fish the water,because it closed due to F&M!

R

Rob Brownfield

Iain, I fished a similar water for years, and what Carp Angler says is good advice. I found that if I was stalking, a big bunch of worms worked wonders. They had no fear for them at all and would snaffle them down in double quick time. I could even cast the worms a few feet infront of them and they would scoot forward to take them on the drop.
Another tactic was to fish a past over the pellets. They loved that too.

C

Carp Angler

Although worm is an excellent bait and, one of my favourites and most succesful, an alternative bait is always advisable incase of unwanted attentions from other species.
This is where the paste or tigers are used.
I don't think they are as instant or readily accepted as worms, but sometimes they are necessary.