"Carp/Pike Rods"

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

I've been looking at the sort of rod that is available today for carp fishing and sometimes for pike fishing. The vast majority seem to follow the same pattern.

12 feet long

2 pieces

5 to 6 rings including the tip. OK sometimes these rings are SiC lined but I often wonder why? Most of the time such rods lay for hours in pods. They don't need sophisticated linings which are costly.

An abbreviated handle using a bit of Duplon at the butt and a 5 dollar Fuji reel seat further up the "handle".

A pretty basic carbon fibre blank which has in most cases a straight taper.

And for all this, some manufacturers recommend a retail price of up to ?300.00

Come on!!!

People who pay these prices are being duped by hype and marketing. Such rods require the least amount of labour to make them. Some of the rings are simgle legs which means only 5 whippings.

Compare this with say a modern match rod which has a cork handle that must be shaped, up to 16 SiC rings, three joints, a compound taper that costs much more than a straight taper and a down locking reel seat that must take qite a bit of labour to get it right.

You can buy a good modern "match rod" or even avon rod for less than ?100.00 these days.

No wonder certain rod manufacturers put out the abreviated handle type carp rod as the thing to use today when after big fish. Actually they are not the right thing to use. I have tried playing 40lb catfish on these abortions and quite frankly they are pathetic.

Maybe one day will will have a complete appraisal of the tackle we use today; and a re-look at the ridiculous prices being payed for it, by people who know no better.

J

John McLaren

There seems to be a principle in some areas of the angling equipment establishment thet "we can ask a lot because of our brand name". What I find intriguing is that, with the marketing of new models each year, the old models end up selling for half the price and less - I can't see the sense of anyone passing up the opportunity to buy last year's model at say ?75 rather than the slightly different (maybe different cosmetics!) current model at ?150+.

Or is that just the Scot in me?

D

Dave Slater

I am very happy with my carp/pike rods and didn't pay much for them. They are good quality and do the job well so I can't see the point in paying a fortune. For those interested I have a set of Diawa Powermesh X in 2.75lb. These are used for much of my carp/pike fishing. I also have a set of Shimano Perfection in 2lb. These are used for short range fishing for carp/pike and also double up as tench/barbel rods on occasions. Again reasonably priced. I don't think anything similar to these is made now but they are very good rods. I would never consider spending a huge amount on rods when quality is available at a very reasonable price.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Ron, get your local shop to make em up for you mate, i go to Harrisons every time and have the blank made to MY spec.

D

Dave Slater

Icidentally, Ron, my 2.75lb rods have 6 rings. I believe this concept was originally though of by Jim Gibbinson and works well on this type of rod. My 2lb rods have a more conventional 10 rings, which I believe is more suitable for short range fishing.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

You are quite right Dave. I have discussed this aspect of rod design way back in 1979 when we were looking at rods capable of chucking in excess of 100 metres on Vaal dam for the carp in South Africa.

In fact this led to me bringing back a number of "Clooper" blanks to SA way back in 1980.

We had them made up in 3 pieces to help with transport. They were 11 1/2 feet long if I can remember and most effective they were two. We puy about 6 rings on them including the tip, together with one of the early Fuji reel seats and the handles were left blank as they were much too thick to put corks on.

They cost us in reality very little to make.

If I ever go back into carp fishing again I shall get some blanks from Harrisons and make them up to my own specs with a decent shorter cork handle.

L

Les Clark

I agree with John,buy last yrs model or buy second hand,there`s a lot of tackel tart`s out there who will sell top gear for the sake of buying the latest model.

L

Laurie Harper

Why not make your own rods? Blanks are cheap, especially if you buy "last year's model". Hopkins & Holloway do every fitting you could ever need by mail order (post free if you spend quite a modest amount) and the satisfaction of catching fish on a rod you built yourself is greater. Len Head's book, "Rod building and repair" is cheap and excellent. Try it - you'll love it.

A

Andy Nellist

Like woz I normally go for a custom build by Vic Gibson on Harrison blanks. in the heavy department my 12 foot Balista Slim 3lb TC's have 7 eyes with a 30 mm butt and a full duplon handle with black whipping no trim and a matt finish. Great rods with understated looks, cast like a dream with no line slap and in my opinion were worth every penny of the ?165 each I paid for them.

D

Dave Rothery

funny thing is you're moaning about paying over the odds for rods but lets say:

you pay ?300 too much for rods
you have them for 5 years

that works out at just over ?1 a week "rip-off"

ron reccomends trigga carpet feed at ?4(?) a kilo. how much does it cost to make? ?1 ? so if you use a kilo a week, thats a ?2 "rip-off". twice as much as the rods rons got his knickers in a twist over.

A

Andy Nellist

I'd bet Ron recommended trigga carpet feed because it does the business DESPITE the fact that it's expensive.

Ron's point on Rod's is a valid one. The price of some of the rods out there is utterly ridiiculous. You just have to look at the far lower prices Harrison are charging for UK manufactured blanks to realise that. How can anyone justify an off the peg rod costing twice as much as a superb custom built tool.

D

Dave Rothery

fair enough andy (my rods are customs), but you cant just point the finger at one product, and recommend another equally "ripped off". if your going to slag off the rods, you have to slag reels, buzzers leads, hooks, everything. trout hooks are a third of the cost for the same pattern. how much does 3oz of lead cost? ?1.20, i dont think so. does trigga work any better than another feed? as you know, its the application that counts.
rons just doing it because he's on an anti carp angler quest, not because of any real concern. just look at the juvenile comment on the emission thread.
at the end of the day, its only a past-time, and every hobbies the same. most people would think the money i pay for a piece of fibreglass covered foam is incredible. what some people pay for a golf club amazes me. so long as they're happy, thats all that matters.

A

Andy Nellist

So Rons being Rontroversial again :eek:)

I believe that tackle and bait are far less important than watercraft but i am a complete tackle and bait tart. I like to use the best bait and tackle i can find and i don't mind paying for quality

A

Andy Nellist

Having quality bait and tackle will not cost you fish... but paying high prices will not necessarily buy you quality bait and tackle.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Actually Nutrabaits Carpet feed has worked for me, although I agree, it is very expensive.

I don't mind paying for quality either. But ?300.00 for a blinking fishing stick?

Anyone who pays that want's his head read!!

Especially when you analyse what has gone into it.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
I think some manufacturers have seen how easy it was to sell overpriced Trout and Salmon rods to game anglers who thought "if they cost that much they must be good, so I'll get one quick", and decided the Carp and Pike boys would think the same.
I'm still using my Fibretube carbon Trout rods ?30 each and my Tricast pike rods by Terry Eustace that I bought s/h for ?50 each probably 15 years ago. B****y good rods but it's the bloke behind them that really counts as no doubt Rontroversial already knows.

Colin

D

Dave Rothery

to quote ron:

Actually Nutrabaits Carpet feed has worked for me, although I agree, it is very expensive.

Anyone who pays that want's his head read!!

Especially when you analyse what has gone into it.

;)

?300 expensive? (though i've only ever met one person who's paid that for a rod, and he can afford it!). what do barder charge for a bit of cane, a bit of cork, sliding reel fittings and unlined eyes? oh yeah, thats different (of course!)

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

300 quids nothing, i earn that in an hour!

Golden Virginia is smoked best in a fiver, i do 20 a day.

;o)