Barbel/Carp Groundbaits

D

Dave Rothery

I've been looking at the sort of groundbait that is recommended (by some well known grumpy old men who like to nothing else but moan about things cos theyve got nothing else to do) today for barbel fishing and sometimes for carp fishing. The vast majority seem to follow the same pattern.

bit of crumb

bit of fishmeal

5 to 6 ingredients including the crumb. OK sometimes these mixes are flavoured but I often wonder why? Most of the time such baits lay for hours uneaten. They don't need sophisticated flavours which are costly.

A bit of maize meal, and a bit of cheap fishmeal.

A pretty basic mix, which has been standard for years.

And for a kilo of all this, some manufacturers recommend a retail price of up to ?4.00

Come on!!!

People who pay these prices are being duped by hype and marketing. Such mixes require the least amount of labour to make them. Some of the mixes are simgle ingredient which means only 5 minutes to make.

Compare this with say a modern boilie mix which has been hand rolled, up to 16 ingredients, three joints that were smoked, a compound of amino?s that costs much more than a straight amino and a field testing program that must take qite a bit of labour to get it right.

You can buy a good modern boilie or even pop ups for less than ?7.00 these days.

No wonder certain bait manufacturers put out the carpet feed type groundbait as the thing to use today when after big fish. Actually they are not the right thing to use. I have tried catapulting these abortions and quite frankly they are pathetic.

Maybe one day will will have a complete appraisal of the tackle we use today; and a re-look at the ridiculous prices being payed for it, by people who know no better.