Reels for spodding

steve smith

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new reel for spodding. At present I,m using a Diawa Regal Z but whilest spodding during my last session I ripped the line clip completely off. can any one recommend a stronger reel with a more robust line clip

D

Dave Rothery

daiwa emblem s5000t - can get them seriously cheap these days. big spool, good line lay, big handle to crank the spods back

A

andrew jackson

I have used a Shimano Biomaster GT8000 for my spodding for many years without any problems and it was well used before it was relegated to that job. Not the nicest smoothest big pit reel on the market as they are a very old design now, but they are very robust and should give years of service.

Phil Thomas

Reaction score
Shimano Biomaster 8000 XS big reel, good pedigree and cheap as you like at about ?68 if you go to the right place (leslies of luton)

B

Budgie Burgess

Any large spooled surfcasting fixed spool.You can pick one of these up for ?30 with a decent line lay.Bigger the spool the better.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I'd look at secondhand, that way you'd get a lot of reel for not a lot of lay-out. I'd stick with Shimano and follow the advice given above.

T

Tony O'Dell

Have just put two Daiwa Emblem's up for sale in second hand section. Never even got to use them, i ended up with two sets of big pits reels for Christmas...oh well..my fault for dropping too many hints!!

T

Tony O'Dell

lol...very true Rik.
I just got fed up year after year getting really naff bits of fishing tackle!!!!.
Dont leave anything to chance nowadays :)
Any chance of an article in the near future?, havent seen one from you for a while.

C

Carp Angler

Tony
it's quite possible that I may put pen to paper (finger to keyboard) again soon.......
With a week in France just 8 weeks away then the juices are starting to flow again and with questions flowing back and forth on an almosy hourly basis then there looks as though I've got the material to produce a few

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Yep we can have a few good scriblings about turnips, brussels and cabbage if we're lucky!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"the juices are starting to flow again and with questions flowing back and forth on an almosy hourly basis then there looks as though I've got the material to produce a few"

Stop w***ing

D

Dave Rothery

"Yep we can have a few good scriblings about turnips, brussels and cabbage"

i take it your staying upwind of rik then?