Discounted Prices

J

John Hepworth

Are RRP fixed so that we are led to believe we are getting a bargain with the discount that ALL tackle dealers give. How many of us have actually paid top pirce for say a Shimano GTE 5000, RRP ?119-99. And what should the real price REALLY be, the quality of my two 5000's would suggest ?19-99.
Return to the service dep't did not imrove matters.

W

Wolfman Woody

It's funny you should mention this John. I stirred up a commotion in the trade press about two years ago and got my knuckles rapped for it. I agree with you to a point, although you stretch it too far with the ?19.99 tag - caveat emptor, I believe.

But the more serious side to this is the savage discounting that does go on within the trade. We have been discussing, on another thread, the demise of Chapmans and our Graham says it was due to discounting. After these threads were posted I was thinking of rewriting some of the material I put to the trade press, for FishingMagic because I do still feel strongly about it.

Since my attack two years ago, some manufacturers have improved - slightly - not enough. Let me get my head around this one and look out.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I believe theres a law about price fixing isn't there? There was a time when the likes of Daiwa and Shimano to name but two demanded that their outlets always sold at the same price on the threat that they wouldn't be supplied if they undercut. I don't think that is legal now.
Now, the dealer that buys the greatest amount gets the greatest discount enabling him to undercut his competitors, good for the buyer but not the average tackle dealer. Why they even put a R.R.P. is hard to understand, even your little tackle dealer doesn't sell at that price, it isn't usually a realistic price anyway.
I'm afraid the law of supply and demand applies to fishing tackle just as it does to any other product, what I don't know is whether thats good or bad in the long run but I do know what your average tackle dealer would say

J

John Hepworth

Jeff, If you were to use them ( the ones I bought) you would'nt think so.

F

Fred Bonney

Whatever you do, it pays to shop around,the recommended price for a Fox Kevlar Barbel Rod is ?199.99,more than one of the advertisers on this site keeps to that price,but you can find it for under ?150!!!

D

Dave Rothery

i know someone that sells plasma's/lcd's etc on the internet who works on a 3% margin - he makes about ?100 a box. he never see's it, it gets delivered straight to the customer (the customer pays postage)- he effectively deals from his study. customer has problem they go straight to the manufacturer.
problem is people see the price on the web and expect high st. retailers to match. i work for an independant who's been around 50+ years and is highly regarded for service. people want to see them, talk to people about them, have it delivered, installed and have loan sets for if it goes wrong, but still pay internet prices. ?100 doesn't cover the delivery/install. people have to decide whether they pay a premium for the service, or just get it as cheap as possible. is it any wonder chapmans went over when they are trying to give service AND match internet?

J

John Hepworth

Tell me about it Dave, I have spent almost all my working life in the TV industry trying to give a good service, now if you quote more than 17/6 for a repair most folk think you are trying to rip them off. Instead they go to Teso's etc to buy a load of rubbish. Mind you most, of the brand name struff is also rubbish these day's....pleased I'm out of it!

J

John Hepworth

Dave, In my last "propper job" I worked for that great company SCOTTISH POWER, Two of us had to install a wide screen 36" Toshiba, complete with stand VCR,DVD and SS speakers. Collected the lot from Castleford to deliver in Otley, took almost 2 hours to insall, after all that the wife said she didnt want it as it was bigger than she thaught. Dont you just love them. At 6-30pm we then still had several service calls to do on Teesside. Is there any wonder the Co went belly up. By the way, if anyone from SP is looking in you still owe two weeks holiday pay.

D

Dave Rothery

yeah. we just basically tell them if they want the service, it costs. sounds arrogant, but its true. we pick up soo many customers from the sheds because we're good at what we do. we make mistakes, but you can talk to us, not a call centre in bangladesh. most people dont mind paying a bit more, especially those already "bitten"!. the tv industry is going two ways - its either cheap throw away stuff, or decent kit, nothing in the middle as its either not quite cheap enough, or a bit too expensive. lately all we've really sold has been plasma/dvd recorders or Bang&Olufsen.....and devons not exactly the richest of areas (though times they are a changing!)

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It's not just fishing tackle, but anything you buy.

Take furniture for example. How many times do you see 50% off and 1 year to pay at zero interest. It's all a marketing ploy as far as I am concerned.

In South Africa we had a simple question when buying anything. We asked what was the discount for cash?

Remewmber that if you pay by credit card or on HP, something has to be payed for. The commission to the finance company in most cases. Therefore if you walk into a shop, always ask for a discount if you are paying cash. If they won't give it to you, walk out.

You would be surprised hhow many of them will call you back.

It doesn't work in supermarkets however.

D

Dave Rothery

the cash bit is a red herring, it costs MORE to process (in the bank) than cards - unless someone "forgets" to bank it ;). thats the only problem with no rrp - furniture places simply inflate the prices, and then "slash" them to make it look like you get a deal. and unfortunately people believe them. they want you to sign up on the "buy now pay later" type schemes so they can hit you with huge interest charges the moment the interest free period lapses.
btw its illegal to offer "interest free" or a cash discount - as it wouldn't be "interest free" if you could buy it cheaper for cash.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

You have a point Dave.

I remember a true story told to me by one of my SA fishing mates who used to sell Mercedes Benz cars in Joburg.

The main dealer there had a 500 series Merc on display in the showroom at a price of R250,000. One day a little innocuous looking black man walked into the showroom with a dirty old briefcase, walked up to my friend and told him he wanted to buy the Merc.

He also told him to have it registered in his name in the next 1/2 hour.

My friends took him through to see the manager, The manager demanded to know from the man how he was to pay for it. The little black man opened his briefcase and spilled R125,000 onto the desk of the manager in mostly small notes.

It took several hours to count and incuded VAT. It was spot on.

However the manager refused to sell the car and didn't give a reason for this. He turned the disappointed little black man away.

The blackman went to see a lawyer and the subsequent judgement found the manager guilty of misrepresentation, racism and fraud. He was sentenced to 25 years in jail.

This is a true story.

As far as I know this sales manager of the main distributor of Mercedes Benz is still reclining in Pretoria Central.

Do you think this was justified?

Would you deny a man who was being utterley honest?

That little African had saved for 15 years for that car.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

By the way there is an error. The amount of money spelled on the managers desk was R250,000.

J

John Hepworth

Just had an experience with Tesco. I returned a faulty digital camera, they had none of the model in stock and because they last sold the camera at ?20-00 less than I paid, that is what they say they will refund.
ER-mail and hard copy already gone off to their HO. The manager also imlied that I was trying to return the camera without the memory card...never had one in the first place. So much for product knowledge and training, something the small independants pride themselves on.

A

Andy Nellist

John,

the price agreed between them and anyone but yourself has nothing to do with the contract that exists between you and them. They must pay you the amount you paid.

I hope you got your money back. if you didn't and need some help e-mail me.

D

Dave Rothery

thats absolute b*ll*x john....providing you had your receipt (to prove how much you paid for it)
we had a guy last week that wanted to bring back a dvd surround system. he'd had it 3 weeks, had no box or packaging, it was damaged, and he wanted to return it as his wife "didnt like it". when we politely said no, it was a "i know my rights, i'm going to trading standards, you have to refund it in 30 days" (only if faulty/not fit for the purpose intended.we never said his wife WOULD like it!)
comes back an hour later asking if we'd give him ?100 for it........

J

John Hepworth

Dave, I know that, you know that, its just a that Tesco's none food manager does'nt.
Having been self employed for many years I have copies of the acts and a good friend was untill recent retirement head of Durham County Council trading standards dept. As I said earlier e-mails(several) have gone off to Tesco and the hard copy will be in the post when I have had a leasurely breakfast, I really do miss bombing round the roads of Durham, Teesside, East and North Yorks, all in the one day.

J

John Hepworth

Andy, thanks for your kind offer but letters to the H.O. usually gets a result.
If you know how an ordinary bloke with little money can take action for libel I would be interested.

W

Wolfman Woody

John, sorry I missed your comment to me earlier, I was busy writing the news piece for FM.
I have had Shimanos and found them okay, but that's not to say everyone would. I have one and because I put my finger on the front of the spool to apply a brake when I had a barbel once, it unscrewed it and the spool fell apart. However, I managed to find all the bits, reassembled it and it's work fine ever since. As for this one, I bought it at almost half price - not quite as good value as the one I won in Angler's Mail for a letter. Get them free I say.
Best reel I have is a DAM that I got free from Coarse Fisherman for taing out a subscription. It's a brilliant little tool.