Internet Trogs

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
What is an Internet Trog?

And are you one?

A

Andrew Thomas

Well I would venture to say that Des himself would fit most peoples idea of a troglodyte!

J

john conway

Des probably doesn?t have any reason to use the internet so he probable thinks the only people who use it are ?anoraks? He?s out of touch with what his readers do for a living, most will probably have access to the internet and quite a few will us it in their jobs for sending emails to downloading information etc. I?m afraid it?s Des who?s the trog, come on Des just pop your head out of your cave and have a good look at the real world.
And remember Des if you're allowed to have an opinion so is everyone else?

J

john conway

Troglodyte: - a person who lives in a cave. (Greek: one who enters caves) Sometimes potholers/cavers are called trogs.

Troll: - Scandinavian folklore; a super natural dwarf or giant that dwells in a cave or mountain (Old Norse: demon)
Take your pick as to whos who?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Poor old Des probably thinks calling someone an 'internet trog' is the ultimate in insults. In actual fact it doesn't really mean anything and only highlights his own inability to express himself and his feelings in a manner suitable for a feature writer

W

Wendy Perry

Des i do hope your reading this and i'm probably the lady that would like to string you up as you say in AT. And for his information i have time to do all my household chores. AND i still think your a muppet!!! If you are big enough to write about people then be big enough to come on the internet and respond or just SHUT UP!!

T

The Monk

hes alright me old mate Des, leave him alone!

I`m not with this lot Mate!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And the Monk is the Ultimate Trog.

Lives in a cave you know with Muff, Wendy, that dirty great owl and a dangerous squirrel.

I wonder if the term "Troglydite" did not come from King Trog of Thurgoland who declared Unilateral Independance of the UK in 1966. The Thurgs marched on Sheffield in April 1967 and surrounded the City hall demanding independance and freedom from the crippling council tax of that city.

Thurgoland is full of caves and that's where the Thurgs used to live.

A dying race are the Thurgs.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

But are the Pies a dying race?

Seem to have been ousted by the Curry Munchers of Manc Land!!

J

John Hepworth

I remember Des Taylor only last year saying that those who visited web forums were, well..... W....rs.

S

Stu Black

He keeps saying we're all nob heads but he's obviously looking in regularly. I've often thought his weekly column is about something thats been discussed on the various forums...

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Old **** Walker once said that without the letters he used to receive and those on the pages of AT, he could never have kept his column going for 30 years.

These days AT do not let anglers voice the opinions they did in the 60s and before. Remember the AT letter section? It often covered a whole page.

What we get these days is a few letters that have been carefully edited to represent mainly the views of the editor.

There is no doubt that Des must consult the likes of FM. Its's far more inter-active than any publication.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Its not so long ago that Des ran a weekly web based magazine himself ........

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot about that Ed, he used to send out a weekly newsletter from the site to tell us how good it was.

Well, trog me!

W

Wolfman Woody

Should that be troglodyte or trogloByte?

I've only met Des a couple of times before at trade shows and I think he always writes his piece a bit tongue in cheek. BIG tongue- BIG cheek (Pun intended)!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
DT's column in the Angling Times is, in my opinion, indicative of how low the publication has sunk since the 1960's.
In those days the standard of writing was far superior, the contributors were far more widely respected (for good reason) and the content represented the entire spectrum of angling.

Today's publication is, in the main, poorly written, ridden with photographs of bait and the like, and has such literary masters contributing such as Des Taylor. (note to AT editor; do you really think that your readership cannot visualise bread, boiliers or maggot without a picture?)

Is it any wonder that anglers by far appear to prefer the interactive medium of Internet forums like FM?

If being a reader and contributor to FM makes me an Internet trog' in the mind of the ex pipefitter then so be it.

Better that than purchasing (and reading) the 'gutter press' that has become the modern AT!

Just my own opinion, of course.

R

Richard Lee

Dear Peter
I have to take issue with you on the term gutter press.
About five years ago people within AT held the belief that the average angler read the Star or Sun, as a consequence there was an attempt to emulate this style. It was a very poor attempt and the sales of the title went down. It was a smack in the face the title deserved. I was with the paper as a reporter at the time and that wallop in the chops really did hurt.
In the past couple of years we have played a totally straight bait, covering some major news stories but putting most of our weight behind trying to help the pleasure angler catch a few more fish this weekend.
The result? Improved sales. Yes, accomplished specimen hunters and matchmen may deem it a little basic, but we have to cater for the majority. If we don't I get the sack. A simple equation.
Des Taylor is given a free role to comment on issues he feels strongly about, and sometimes he upsets individuals. That's just the way he is, at least people have an opinion about the man. And Ron is incorrect to say I don't print readers' replies, just this week there is an individual questioning his stance on Passion For Angling.
I don't expect everyone to like AT, fishing is just so varied these days that it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep everyone happy - that's why there are so many titles and websites on the market these days. And good luck to them, I can never devote lots and lots of pages, to say, barbel - it would be suicide as a commercial venture for the pleasure angler.
But nothing stands still. The market is constantly changing and I will have to relaunch again in the Spring to keep pace.
AT is still referred to, by certain people on this site, as a comic. There was once a time when that was deserving, but I really do believe that the paper is now well written and informative. With the tactical information provided by accomplished anglers such as Alan Scotthorne, Bob Nudd, Matt Hayes, and Martin Bowler, not to mention our array of 'commercial masters' why would people see this as gutter?.
So to those who insist on using derogatory terms, I urge you to reconsider your hard line. Angling Times is an informative manual for average anglers that is growing in popularity.
Ps I regularly read back copies of AT and believe Matt Hayes can give anyone a run for their money as a 'colour' angling writer. His latest article is excellent. I'd be interested in your views about Matt's work.
Kind regards
Richard Lee, Angling Times editor

J

john conway

Thanks for coming on FM Richard, as you know this thread was mainly aimed at Des. There are well over 10,000 members on FM most of whom probably read AT from time to time and have no comments one way or the other. Like you said you can’t please everyone all the time.
My opinion so far re Matt Hayes; he’s good, and he can generally get his point over in what to me is almost like a respected mate giving you a bit of advice. The sort of guy you actually enjoy fishing with. Now maybe Des is actually like that, but that’s not how he comes over in his articles. 9 out of 10 for Matt 2 out of 10 for Des.
Once again Richard thanks for coming on FM.