our fishing planet

P

paul clarke

come january/february i am taking a year out and travelling globally. places i hope to visit are africa , new zealand , chile , peru , west coast of the states and canada. As an aside , what i'd like to do is fish a little in each of these places but what should i expect in these countries? has anyone got any experiences of fishing around the world ? i know Ron has good knowledge of fishing abroad so it would be nice to hear of any pointers to help me on my round the world trip . Paul

R

Ron Troversial Clay

If it's fishing tackle you are looking for I would take a 9 foot fly rod and other tackle capable of handling a 7 weight line in 3 pieces.

In addition a 7 foot spinning rod and an 11 foot general rod with a tc of about 11/2 lbs should do fine. Try to get them in 3 pieces, preferably 4.

If you are in the USA then you have the opportunity of buying some really superb tackle for lure fishing. It's dirt cheap too.

Pity is that for some peculiar reason you cannot buy decent rods in the UK in 4 sections. One day they will learn what travelling anglers want.