Tackle RRPs

W

Wolfman Woody

I'd just like to add to my article that the views expressed are mine alone and not necessarily those of the editor or management of FishingMagic!

G

Geoff Cowen

A clasic example to this is the Maver Meduca 16m pole, retial price of ?932.00 and has always been on sale for ?699.00 never at the full price. Just another con!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As someone who used to be a part owner of a tackle business I feel somewhat qualified to ask/answer some of the questions that you pose in your excellent article.

There are some manufacturers who do indeed offer very good deals to the larger retailers, in either better discount or "free" additional rods/poles etc.

There are also some manufacturers who have a "not lower than" pricing policy that if you are found to have broken, then they will cease to supply you with goods.
None of this is exceptional but rather simple business practice and sound economic practice at that.

There are also some mail order type shops that will charge you the full RRP if you wish to spread the cost, by cheque or credit card, as opposed to a cash or one time credit card transaction. And quite rightly too, indeed Jeff, you answered this yourself, the shop has laid out the money for the goods and requires to make a reasonable profit on a sale over reasonable period of time.
Think about the costs associated with; purchase, transportation, insurances, storage, high interest on short-term loan and overheads? Not to even mention the ever-present problem of pilfering and shop lifting.

On the subject of personal service form your local tackle shop, I could not agree more. Sadly, we do face the problem of "use it, or lose it" in many cases.

In my opinion I prefer to walk into my local shop, spend time examining my proposed purchase, discuss the pros and cons of different options with an experienced angler/owner as opposed to mailing an order and waiting for the goods to arrive.

There is, however, more than enough market for both alternatives and long may it remain so.
Otherwise, we may well in the future be faced with the (unacceptable) position that the local shop will only be able to sell and compete on the smaller items, and bait, with the large mail order company's who will have the entire rod, reel and 'expensive' item market!

L

Laurie Harper

Good sense, Peter. Actually, I've found it's always worth asking for a discount at the local tackle shop as, in my experience, they will often offer you a good price - not as low as the mail-order discounters - but respectable enough. That way, you can support your local shop and not spend too much over the odds.

B

Budgie Burgess

Not a great deal of sympathy from me for most tackle shops.BUT I do feel for them when the wholesalers or manufacturers sell them stock at one price then a short while after bring out the same in a deal (either lower price or as a package etc)This leaves them with the origonal stock competing with other shops who have got it on the deal.

W

Wolfman Woody

Some interesting points Peter and nice to hear them coming from the inside, so to speak. I would never advocate a fixed pricing policy and it is definitely illegal, laws came into effect this June to that effect. They also cover the abuse of a dominant position, meaning that a company cannot use discriminatory pricing to remove or reduce competition. This new law is a minefield and the penalties can involve custodial sentences. Companies also have to be very careful now since the scope of investigations will be started following eves-dropping, rumour, tip-offs, and whistle-blowers as well as complaints and even news reports!!! There have already been a few cases where companies have been fined ?millions for operating price cartels.

I had my own taste of what it was like 11 years ago when I was selling PCs. A competitor was selling the same brand for less than I could buy them for, but the supplier denied his prices to 'special' accounts were that low. Shortly after I disassociated myself with the supplier I met the man who had been its former Managing Director. He told me that his instructions (from the USA) were to look after 'special' accounts as these would keep the product name at the forefront of people's attention. It was the main reason he left them, or so he told me and he was a Scot so I believed him. I dealt with him happily for some time after that on the new brand, no complaints.

There's always been product dumping, Budgie, if an item isn't moving as quickly as it should. Manufacturers will do all they can to move the stocks and many don't give a damn in whose stockroom it ends up. Someone, somewhere gets saddled with it and eventually has to sell it at close to his purchase price or less.

Keep em coming!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It must be hard to run a small business these days.

However I do try to support the smaller guy whenever I can as I know I will get better service all round. The vast majority of my tackle was purchased from my local tackle dealer, who happens to be a very good angler and who knows the
business backwards. I can get the items cheaper from some shops and mail order, that I know, but like Peter I do prefer to handle the item in the shop before purchasing.

Not only that, but the smaller tackle shops are frequented by other anglers who often pass on advice.

Not only that but if the big mail order companies take over, where are we to get our maggots, other baits and small items of tackle at short notice?

Support your local shop is what I say.

S

Stu Black

The owner of 1 of my local shops is an absolute star, I've been in there while he was serving a young lad, the kid had chosen his hooks, a couple of floats etc and asked for a pint of maggots. he was told the price and counted his cash and was a few pence short, Deggy told him the maggots were free if he promised to come back and tell him what he caught.

Never lets me off like that tho..

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Stu,

A good example of the 'personal' service that we have been alluding to. I would like to think that the lad did, indeed, return to the shop.

I have been in KC Angling in Sutton and seen Steve actually talk a young angler out of an expensive rod in favour of a cheaper model, that was far better suited to the type of fishing that the lad was keen on.

A

Andy Blessett

It appears to be the age of "everybody wants something for nothing" and I suppose I'm also guilty of being a "bargain hunter". I haven't been into the magazines and haven't kept abreast of local fishing news lately so was disheartened to hear of the demise of Chapmans Tackle. I live in Immingham, N.E.Lincs, at one time we had a small tackle/pet shop in the town which is now closed. I and others like me now have to go to Grimsby which is 9 miles or so, or even Cleethorpes (which is even further), to get our tackle and bait. This all adds to the expense of a days fishing. Now we have to plan a fishing trip instead of just getting a few maggots from down the road and shooting off to the local pond. Having said all this, I still strongly believe in supporting the "not-so-local" tackle shops. Without them the knowledge you can gain, the banter and the personal service has all gone. On a lighter note, can you imagine getting your maggots delivered through your letter box (which have been in a plastic bag for three or four days). Also, if the Royal Mail had delivered them, the bag would probably be destroyed as well!

W

Wolfman Woody

Careful Andy. Cleethorpes is on the edge of the world isn't it? That's another story for another day, though.

I admit, if our local tackle shop were to close, I too would have at least 7 miles and then the next two are about 9 miles away. In my "shed" that's getting on for a gallon of petrol (cold start etc.) and that in itself shoves up the cost of a few maggots.

P

Phil Hackett

I’ve used my local tackle shop (Gilders of Failsworth) since it open 30 years ago for most of my purchases. I always get a good deal on large items (rods, reels and the like) in the order of 10-15% discount. Maggots are always well over the measure I ask for.
Given my propensity for making/modifying tackle, I have them rooting through draws, boxes, the attic and every nook and cranny of the shop for obscure items they may not know they have. Never once I have I here a grumble for Gerry, Pam or the other Sale staff and 80% of the time they come up trumps for me. That is service, service I wouldn’t get from mail-order Co or the large discounters.

Gerry if you’re reading this, don’t you dare make comment, or you know what happens????
Wednesday about 3 00 PM just as you’re reaching a low ebb, I’ll be in for the most obscure thing I can think of, that I know is in the attic. LOL

A few weeks ago I went in to buy a second JW system quiver rod like the one I bought last winter from them. The one I got in the winter was a one off trial rod they’d got on a purchase they’d made. Gerry said “Phil you be better getting one from the ad dealers in the mags, because for me to get you one, it’ll cost you the full price, as I don’t deal with that Co. on a regular basis.”

Total honesty and integrity from him, what MO or Discounter would you get that from? Stack em’ high, flog em’ cheap, doesn’t matter if they come back or not, there’s always more mug punters to follow them.

Shop local and keep your tackle shop alive is my motto

P

Phil Hackett

P.S.
I believe I have one of the best tackle shops in the country for personal honest service!

W

Wendy Perry

Phil i totally agree with you i use gilders too and they are great people . When i go in the shop they always make a point of saying hello,and Lucy is lovely with me.

W

Wolfman Woody

Phil, you make my point exactly, but Gilders should be offered the same, or very close to, deals as anyone else in the trade irrespective of how often they buy. In fact if they were offered terms like that, they might be persuaded to but more from that manufacturer.

A

albert watkinson

i endorse most of what has been said on local tackle shops.however i bought a shimano reel post free which was ?15-00 cheaper than the nearest tackle shop .i have supported tackle shops all my life but if some of them are uncompromising{and there are some} business is business as they say.pensioners cant throw money away.
albert

B

Budgie Burgess

When ever I need to make a large purchase I always ring around first.I then go to my local shop and see what they can do.If they can come close to the best quote I will give them the sale out of loyalty but if they are a lot more I have to go with the cheapest.I will always prefer to give my money to some one I like and who supplies a good service but needs must.Crap shops with bad attitude? I just wont use them even if they are the cheapest.