Feeding during the closed season

quickcedo

Reaction score
Over the years I have not done too well at the start of the season. It has been said that this is due to the fact, that the fish have not seen anglers baits for 3 months. So, is it worth feeding a few quiet spots during the closed season? If so what and how much would you suggest?

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
Many anglers have a pre bait campaign and it has given excellent results, especially if you make your own bait and give it a controlled signature flavour. The only problem you may come across is that on the start of the season your baited swim may not be available as many people don't seem to have the values of yesteryear, in the past a small sign advising anglers the swim had been baited was all that was required, now though it may just be advertising a lazy angler where to start his season..

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It could well be Mark,BUT first make sure you have a right of access to the fishery.

Having gained the right of access, be careful who may be watching ;)

A regular supply of feed ,say hempseed, rather than an occasional bombardment of kilo's of other "groundbaits".

Cakey

Reaction score
Id of thought a lake shut for three months the fish will be starving and climbing the banks for the right bait

Dave Burr

Reaction score
I've mounted the occasional pre-baiting campaign on the rivers but have always found the results disappointing. I think that the main reason is that barbel tend to move about around spawning time and as that has coincided with the start of the season, they have been driven by a stronger urge than feeding.

Nowadays I don't go barbel fishing right at the start of the season anyway, the barbel and chub are thin and out of condition. Give them a month or two to totally recover.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I was looking at a very local stretch which isn't fished alot. But the point re spawning does seem to be pertinent. I might try for 2 or 3 weeks prior to the start of the new season.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
My view is that fishing the right spot rather than prebaiting is the key to early season success. Spend your time walking the banks and fish spotting rather than prebaiting. Once you've found the fish success always follows.

Dave Burr

Reaction score
The other angle to go in on is bait choice. If the fish are slow to get onto those expensive boilies/pellets etc then catch a few minnows and try them. Early season - post spawning fish are trying to cram in the protein will eat other fish's spawn or fry. Likewise the good old lobworm works well in the early days of the season, its a natural and a big mouthful for the fish.

As Sean says, location is all, the bait is secondary.

longi

Reaction score
Pre-baiting in closed season

I pre-baited last year on the river wharfe wive hemp and pellets. After closed season it fished really well. So i would say it is a good idea to pre-bait a few swims.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Assuming it was somewhere near where your avatar shot was taken Longi you probably didn't really need to prebait. What you've got to remember, particularly oop north, is that early season barbel are generally still in or close to the shallows. Prebaiting shallow swims is probably not wort it because the barbel are there anyway and prebaiting deeper swims is probably not worth it because there are no barbel there yet.

Or am being too simplistic?

quickcedo

Reaction score
Well that's confused the issue! Think I'll prebait a few known spots and leave a few more just to see what happens. I do like the idea of using Minnows though.
Cheeers for all the advice.