suitable Fly rod for saltwater / general use ?

J

Jeremy Fogg

Returning to fishing after a 26 year break, with the added incentive of the Internet and cable TV, I'm like a child in a sweetshop and want to try everything !
That said, my funds are not limitless and I continue to seek the "holy grail" of "universal fishing tackle"

It doesn't help that Sea, coarse and game rods are all specified by different "weight" systems. (can anyone please tell me if my 11 foot "Bass" rod would be suitable for specimen carp or pike ?)

In particular I read conflicting reports about the kind of tackle needed to fly-fish in the sea.

I've read good reports about the Masterline Ideal XL 9ft 6in AFTM 7/8 carbon fly rod and, while I suspect it'd be about right for reservoir trout, grey Mullet and (small) Bass from the shore, I'm wondering if this is going to be much too heavy for brook trout, and too light for Carp / Barbel and (small) pike - which are the species with which I am likely to get most of my practice. (I don't anticipate ever being wealthy enough to fish for salmon !)

thanks in anticipation

Jeremy

R

Richard Drayson

The only 'universal fishing tackle' is a net Jeremy! (Or perhaps a trawler)
Different rod types are specified differently, they all do different things.
You're not going to be interested in a trout fly rod with a 8oz test-curve, or a beach rod with an AFTM rating are you?

If you want specific saltwater fly-fishing advice, Davis Tackle in Christchurch may be able to offer some advice.

I would say that a fly rod with a 7/8 rating is a good general purpose trout fly rod, I wouldn't consider it for catching carp, barbel? or pike though. You'd need something far stronger, something like a salmon rod I suspect.

B

Budgie Burgess

A modern 7-8 Reservoir rod will be ok for bass,pollack,mackerel,garfish and mullet (I have caught all of these from both boat and shore on one.No problem for most pike either.Providing you can cast even large 6"+ Dahlberg Divers can be cast ok with a Weight Forward 8.The salt water lines you see really only differ in that the plastisiser used in there construction is less affedted by bright sunlight and heat.They are aimed at the tropical market.I have also caught carp on the same size out fit on both proper flies and chum mixers.Never heard of Barbel being caught intentionaly on fly though.The out fit would obviously work on a small stream or brook but would be a bit too heavy.Fly fishing is great fun for both coarse and sea fish,in fact I prefer these to trout!!

J

Jeremy Fogg

Thanks for the replies guys.

I got the barbel reference from an Angling Times article a few weeks back - apparently "Czech Nymphs" are the flies to use - I seem to remember the author developed his own variants.

I guess the only game fishing I'm likely to get in the near future is a day ticket at Chew so I'll go with the Masterline rod.

One thing has struck me though and that is the risk of trashing expensive fly lines when going for fish that might more sensibly be caught with traditional methods.
I'll definitely bear in mind the comment about salt water and fly lines. I'm about to order a "Berkley Portable Line Spooling Station" in the faint hope of getting into good tackle maintenance habits.

Jeremy

R

Ron Troversial Clay

As an angler who has done a bit of salt water fly fishing I would advise you to get a 9 foot rod with an extension butt that will throw a 9 weight line.

Do not go longer than 9 feet, otherwise you will find that the playing of the fish you catch, which fight much harder than anything in freshwater, too much of a trial.

The Americans and South Africans are real experts in this sort of fly fishing and I speak from personal experience. The average reservoir fly rod is not up to the job and is far too heavy.

Greys of Anlwick have the sort of rod you are looking for and they are not at all expensive.

B

Budgie Burgess

What Ron says is quite right my "dedicated" Salt Water fly rods are AFTM 9,9'with extension butts and these are coupled with dedicated saltwater lines BUT I use these abroad for Tarpon,Sailfish and other large pelagics.Even for Bones I use a reservoir rod and the only thing different is the saltwaterline again.But for UK shores I stick with what I have allready said.Dont really see what you say about most reservoir rods being too heavy though Ron?
I think it was AT who carried an article about a guy who used to do really well on his local mixed fishery with a fly outfit for roach,skimmers etc cant remember if he used a fly or bait though.Fly fishing for coarse fish is quite popular on the continent.BTW the rod I caught the first ton up fly caught cat on was an Orvis Hampshire 10'AFTM 6-7! (must admit I wouldnt reccomend it though! cocked up and packed the wrong rod tube!was meant to be the Salt water rod)but it landed it never the less.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

What I mean about a lot of reservoir rods being too heavy is that some of them are too long.

There is a heck of a diffence on your wrist in casting with a rod of 10 feet compared with casting one a foot shorter, assuming that both rods are designed to cast the same line weight.

The longest single handed fly rods I have ever used effectively are 91/2 footers. These have tended to be 6/7 weight rods. For real distance casting using lines in 9/10 weights, a 9 footer is the best all- round length for the average person who is not possessed of immense strength.

I once purchased a 11 1/2 "Loch Style" rod about 15 years ago when those rods became all the rage for boat fishing. I hated it.

After 8 hours on the water wielding such a horrid stick, my wrist ached for days.

I have fished with some of the best fly casters in the world, and for ultimate distance using shooting heads and the double haul technique, they all preferred 9 footers.

B

Budgie Burgess

Ah yes I now see what you are getting at Ron.The long "Loch Style" drifting rods used by boat anglers would be totaly useless for what we are discussing.Not only are they too unweildly but most have a AFTM6 rating.The standard reservoir bank rod of AFTM 7-8,normaly between 9-10'is what I was refering to.I would also agree that 9'is the optimal casting length.Not that I am an expert fly caster unfortunately!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Not many of us are truly expert fly casters Budgie. I have fished in the company of some truly great casters such as Lefty Kreh, Lee and Joan Wulff of the USA, Bill Steele, Rod Cross and Angelo Komis of South Africa. Rod Cross could get out a 30 yard double taper with a single handed fly rod and use it as a shooting head; and then chuck it 50 yards!!

When I was in my late 30s and 40s I could chuck a weight 9 shooting head 55 yards with ease. Bill Steele could do 60 yards. Don't ask me to do this now, I've lost a lot of my strength and co-ordination.

The point I am trying to make is that in all cases these great casters preferred a 9 foot rod and so did I.

The best British caster I have seen in action is Charles Jardine. Another great caster is Danny Peet who is disabled and does it all from a wheelchair. He does prefer a slightly longer rod at 9 1/2 feet however for obvious reasons.

Of course you don't have to cast such vast distances to catch fish. However by practising and studying the techniques of long distance casting, it does help you cast shorter distances a heck of a lot easier. It also helps you present your fly to the fish better.

What you want is to be able to cast all day with the minimum amount of energy and false casting. Tired muscles and sore wrists make a day's fly fishing unenjoyable and destroy your concentration.

Amongst other things, 10 foot rods are one of the major culprits in making you tired. They are totally unnecessary for the vast majority of saltwater, stillwater and river fly fishing.