new to carping

steve doyle

Reaction score
ive just started carping i went last weekend using the method with white choc boillies can anyone give me some pointers on how to catch thanks

M

michael rouse

i just use a simple running rig with richworth tutti boili.works for me.

J

jim turner

hey, personally i think where you fish is as important as how u fish, spend a bit of time at the venue just watching and asking people what the going methods are (don't have to use them!) as far as the method goes i peronally don't tend to use boilies, because i believe corn or maize works better but you also catch tench and bream on it, if that bothers you? if it does stick to boilies. the runs on a method feeder should be pretty clear because i presume your using it as a bolt rig? if you want some more help tell me a bit more bout the venue e.t.c. and il try and help you as will every one else i've no doubt every one else will.......... cheers

nige reilly

Reaction score
if you can afford it get yourself a copy of lee jacksons rig clinic,its great for getting started and everything you need to know is there,i suppose any video will do but i got jackos two years ago and i can honestly say it has put fish on the bank for me,a cheaper way of course are the fishing tabloids,crafty carper is good,colin davidson in anglers mail keeps everything nice and simple "which of course it should be" and not forgeting coarse fisherman magazine,hope you get sorted and catch good luck

W

Wolfman Woody

I'll back Nige on the "Rig Clinic" book. Five years ago I organised a 24 hr charity carp marathon match and one guy I knew (used to be a match angler) was reading the book and tying the rigs whilst he was in the match. Come the morning there'd only been one fish caught and at 11:55 with 5 mins to go, he caught a 20.5lb fish and stole the top prize. His first ever carp. I'm sure it was the same book.

W

Wolfman Woody

Probably Right Dave, I know it was Lee Jackson wrote it.

steve doyle

Reaction score
thanks for the info i have ordered the book from lee jackson and waiting for it to come in the post hope it dose the job

S

Stuart Bullard

Steve - I am sure its a great book, but to state the obvious, it doesn't matter one jot about the rig if its not in the right place, right time, right preparation etc etc that considers all the "elements" that would affect fish feeding on your hook bait !

.....and having wasted effort myself, I spent this year going back to basics (having only really started carp fishing last year, although it is not my prefered fishing) and used two very basic rigs. The difference in my catches this year has been substantial.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

All these rigs just seem to make things more and more complicated ,
surely the idea should be to try and simplify things.It seems that every time you pick up a magazine or read an article there is a new rig to try.
I'm convinced that at least half of these rigs are thought up by anglers while they are sitting biteless just for 'something to do to relieve the boredom'

N

Nick Austin

Steve....The guys here all offer great advice, one thing i would add is that when you buy the mags and see that the "big boys" are tying complicated rigs with massive hooks....(because of the fish they are aiming for)...think carefully.....My biggest advance in carp fishing was when i simplified, and scaled down my end tackle to suit the 10 to 20lb fish that i'm likely to catch!.....also, remember to fish safe rigs which release the lead if snagged!....