Full Moon

Tim Birch

Reaction score
I never seem to do very well on a full moon for carp. Wether this is due to it being lighter maybe?
I've always believed predatory fish to be more active at this time, including larger predatory carp so maybe a small minnow or roach livebait boltrigged?

T

The Monk

we have had a thread on this Tim and it brought out some interesting theories, cant remember where it was though!

a lot has been written on moon phasing though

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
I used to be a werewolf

bot Im alright Nooooooooooooooooowoooowoooo

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Aptly enough, Friday's full moon is known as the "Hunter's Moon" being the first full moon following the "Harvest Moon" which in itself is the full moon closest to the Autumn equinox.

Autumn full moons cover a low arc through the night sky, and therefore tend to appear to be both bigger and brighter than at other times during the year.

W

Wolfman Woody

I make little blisters with me two front teeth!!!!

Never liked fishing under a full moon, never proved any good.

T

The Monk

Under certain conditions and temperatures, the magnetic pull from the moon, can cause many invertibrate species to move to the higher water layers, this will inturn effect the next trophic faunal level to follow suit. The moon additionally has an effect on the earths tidal systems through gravitational pull.

J

jason fisher

i had some good fish this autumn under a very bright full moon so bright i could bait up without using my torch.

J

jason fisher

bugger they weren't carp though they were chub on a river, thought i ought to add that in as we are in the carp thread.

don't eels feed under full moons.

T

The Monk

yes Jason, the eel lads have written much over the years about moon phasing, it appears more releivant with this specie?

I

Ian Whittaker

If a fish is hungry it will eat whether its a full moon or not. Its all about increasing your chances of catching. Would you stop fishing totally if you could only fish during the full moon?

B

Budgie Burgess

For big bream at night yes as it would be a total waste of bait and time.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
A full moon was always handy when doing the odd stint around Manc land......at least you can see the bandits sneaking up on you!!!! And get a chance to wake the old and very deaf german shepherd up......for some reason nobody bothers you in the middle of the night when the "hound of the baskervilles" is having a stretch outside the bivvy.......(strange that???)

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The fear of the full moon goes back as far as when the first man walked on this planet. It's got nothing to to with the grvitational pull of the moon but rather that the reflected light of the sun will encourage the dead to rise from their graves and the spirits of the afterlife to come abroad.

The effect of this on fish can be remarkable and will cause them to go off feed.

There are strange paranormal lines of force that cross at a part of Greater Manchester, east of Eaton Hall, along the A576 near the village of Rhodes. It is said that the ghostly re-incarnation of Rasputin lives there, in a cave, together with his only companions, two polecats and an owl.

On moonlit nights, this apparition can be seen, dressed in a black monk's habit. The noise it makes is truly awful.

This eldritch figure has also been seen at the source of The River Kimb at a place called Dropping Well, so named because a member of an ancient order of witches of the Nether Haugh Hob, cured herself of the groaning squits in the year 1218.

The Ley line of Rhodes is connected to the Dropping Well Rock of course.

Beware ye the moonlit nights forsooth.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

and does this ghostly apparition also carry 'Ye Olde Ice Axe'??

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Aye to be sure. Ye Olde Ice Axe, made by a long dead Norseman - Eric Ribaldwulff who named the town of "The Rother" is to be found behind the bar at "Ye Olde Manor Barn", an hostelry not one mile from Ye Dropping Well Rock.

Touch that axe and you will upset the balance of the delicate forces between the axe and the Ley line to the cave at Rhodes and The Dreaded Black Monk verily shall walk again. Hide in dread all ye Scousers, Brummies and those of The Stincus Maximus; when this thing comes to pass, hide in dread!

C

Cakey

Down south where we are all sane...the moon is a tool to light the way back to the bivvy .